Air filter!!

scott_johnson

Reaction score
Reet guys, i no this has been covered before but just want opinions

I may want a little more growl from the engine as it sounds dull and boring... not bein a chav, i didnt really wanna do the whole induction kit route...

To cut a long story short im after a filter and a 007p recirc... Will i be able to hear the air recirculating back better with an induction kit or just stick with a panel filter??? also will it have adverse effect (hot air goin in) if i use an induction type system??

i think inductions if fitted right can keep the air cool and as far as im aware you do hear more of a turbo suck when accelerating, but im not 100% sure on that.

i think the 007p will make more of a noise depending on how you position it, i think theres two positions where the unit points a different direction.....someone will be along to tell you more on it no doubt

lol. cheers guys!!! I may just get a panel filter as i recall AKY saying it gave a deeper groan!

I didnt notice any increased induction noise when fitting a Green panel filter but you can certainly hear the turbo now.

Scott ,if you fit a cold air induction kit properly it will be fine as long as you get one like the BMC or something with the air feed to the bumper, as for the 007p and panel filter which i have, you don't get any induction noise at all really but you can hear the turbo spool up up a bit better i think, and when you let off you do kinda get a slight rush of air sound, but not like a atmospheric valve and it is hardly noticeable. the car doesn't sound that different from standard really, so spend some ££££££ and buy that GuppeM kit someone had on here a while ago!!!

Does having a FMIC make any difference to sound??

No sound difference unfortunately!! Dont no if its just me, but im sure it picks up alot better at speed (due to the larger amount of air bein sucked in) and deffinately prolongs power due to lower intake temps!! Not something id of paid for but im glad it was there when i bought it! Would recomend a fmic!!

Why not try the WAK box Scott? Basically its the same air box but with a panel filter and a load of holes in it.
9837074c.jpg

12dadbf3.jpg

Why not try the WAK box Scott? Basically its the same air box but with a panel filter and a load of holes in it.
9837074c.jpg

12dadbf3.jpg

And then you are sucking in all the lovely hot air from the engine compartment, they do have cold air feeds to the bumper for a reason... :moa:

ive just fitted a k&n panel filter. You can definatly hear the turbo more, not massively but a definate difference to the standard filter. I think im going to get a forge splitter dv, although i will prob end up running it fully recirc when i get fed up with the atmospheric noise!

You could always do the old fashioned paint tin mod.
I did this with a simota cone filter and i could feel the difference instantly when i did the paint tin and cold air feed mod.
This is mine on my GT4,its covered in some exhaust wrap which i had spare and a few layers of heat reflective tape.
Takes about 15 mins and costs peanuts.

finished.jpg

13072008104.jpg

cheers for the comments guys. my re-circ is fine at the moment so i might buy a panel filter first then take it from there!!! who else is running standard re-circ?? Would people deffo recomend upgrading?? I no theres no real gain.... will it hold boost better??

I have a green cotton pannel in mine and to be honest it sounds no different to a paper filter, i think if you look into it in detail the standard paper filter offers better flow than all upgrade filters.

Would like more growl from mine but dont want a chav tastic induction kit, looks like sticking to standard air box.

i ve got a enclosed cabon fibre one like the BMC ones but only paid £80 and has polished intake end which goes into the wing. lovely sound not to loud but a good growl, could try and get an other one cause its from DP motorsport just round the corner from me......... oh any news on the vent and gauge

I've fitted Jabbasports Induction kit with it's purpose made stainless steel surround, and it sounds wicked. It gives a nice induction roar (Quality, not Chavvy) at low end and quiet on normal driving. I have noticed the sound of the Diverter valve, but that is only when I either have the passenger window open or under heavy throttle.(Or both)

It's not cheap, but it looks and sounds great IHMO.

But with many of these things Scott, it depends on your budget.

Ian

Have a look on TT-Forum Scott - theres a few inudction kits for sale on there including Neuspeed

So whats peoples opinions on the neuspeed... im guessing that will make slightly more noise as its not tucked down the side of the bay like the carbonio although the carbon carbonio looks preety good!

The neuspeed one says 'The Beetle, Golf IV and Bora feature a special brushed stainless steel enclosure to reflect heat and compliment your engine'

Will the s3 application come with the enclosure?? or have i just read it wrong??

I have a green cotton pannel in mine and to be honest it sounds no different to a paper filter, i think if you look into it in detail the standard paper filter offers better flow than all upgrade filters.

Would like more growl from mine but dont want a chav tastic induction kit, looks like sticking to standard air box.

Isnt the better flow only for the first 5 minutes as they have better filtration so block up quicker.

I love the way the word chav gets used on everything nowdays.
More growl to you is chav tastic to someone else.

Very true J. I think the induction kit just enhances the way an engine sounds. Take the m3 csl for example, the main noise the car makes is induction noise.... A chav sound would be a big bore on a 1.2 saxo!!! lol. I suppose it has its limits to an extent due to the fact its a turbo and not NA.

'Busy'... youll tell us out!! lol. cheers mate. I actaully thought you meant the tt forum on the AS.net site!!! lol. ive never used the 'tt-forum' before

Ive got a video from my track day of an m3 csl giving it death from a standing start. Ill upload it when i get home!! sounds mint!!