Noise from S3 when I first move forward.

Mike.M

Reaction score
Been noticing (only when window down) that when my car moves forward from a stand still in first gear there is a noise that occurs for about a second.

If I drop the cltuch and then move again in first gear it will occur again.........only in first and when moving off.

Sounds like its coming from the drive shaft/gear box area but I can not think what would cause the noise, as all the other gears do not appear to make the noise.

I too have noticed a noise but not quite the same as yours.
Mine happens when stationary and can only be heard from outside. The noise sounds like the clicking of a relay almost every second (3 or 4 clicks, pause, then repeats). The sound is coming from under the car, guessing the driveshaft.
The car's going back to Audi next monday, I'll report back what they say.

mine occurs about 1500 - 2000 rpm if reved quickly but if done slowly there is nothing at a stop or when starting to move off.

Got my dad to rev the engine while I had a listen and it seems to be coming from the top of the engine somewhere but not sure as noises do travel

i think i have a very similar problem, mine sounds like a belt slipping or something, like a squeal it's only slight and hardly noticable, it also only does it pulling away in first gear at slow revs.

While it was in for a service i asked them to check it out but they said they could not reproduce it, they wouldnt know what i meant anyway. When i have time i'll take them for a road test.

Sorry i can't answer your problem

Thanks for the feedback.

Its not a belt slipping for sure.......sounds like a loose/rattling bolt somewhere near the exhaust system/top of engine.

On my last car I had a similar noise and it was the lower mounting bolt of the down pipe (bolt not tight and washer vibrating), but can not see where it could come from on the S3 unless its in the engine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif

Going to Audi after work today to replicate the noise for them.

Just need as many ideas to throw at Audi so they do not say its a caracteristic of the car

Took to Audi again and we stayed outside for an hour or so listening to the engine.........and its the engine itself.

The chain inside rattles (loose) until slack is taken out of it.......waiting for extended warranty to get back to Audi to be given the go ahead as it is an engine dismantle job that will last a day or so.

GEARBOX and DIFF are ok but!

[ QUOTE ]
S3 Mike said:
Took to Audi again and we stayed outside for an hour or so listening to the engine.........and its the engine itself.

The chain inside rattles (loose) until slack is taken out of it.......waiting for extended warranty to get back to Audi to be given the go ahead as it is an engine dismantle job that will last a day or so.

GEARBOX and DIFF are ok but!

[/ QUOTE ]

the chain on the cam's??

Audi have given the go ahead for the work.........thank GOD!

Whole day of top engine work apparently.

About 6 hours work by the book!

Had this sorted by Audi.

It took almost two days of work as they had to replace the cam tensioner in the engine.........it had become worn and even started to melt apparently with the free play, of which was causing the noises.

The engine feels a little tight (like new), so its a case of running her in again.........but noise is gone!