Volks AutosSky Insurance
    2nd Gear

Status

13 pin cd changers

Hi Guys,
    Y'know cd boot changers for A3s... you know how some of them plug straight into the lead already there in the back...these seem to be typically referred to as '13 pin connector' changers...looking in my 2000 W reg pre-facelift A3 1.8T, there are only 10 pins (seated on a matrix that would in theory hold 13 pins)... is this the right set up?

Looking to get something like this: http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_p...p?partno=VAGA3

thanks as always for any help! (You lot have taught me a lot about these cars now!)

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status

Re: 13 pin cd changers

That's spot on, it's a 13 pin connector but not all the pins are used. There is only one version (very un-Audiesque). That Alpine package is a really good deal as the adapter (which you need even if you buy the Panasonic changer), is about 30, and the Panasonics go for 80 on ebay secondhand!
    If you have the changer bracket fitted, the Alpine probably won't fit (the Panasonic is a really tight fit), but it's a bad way to fit a changer anyway - hard bolted to the bodywork. Remove the bracket and mount the Alpine on some doublesided draught excluder foam tape (the thicker the better) on top of the ineffectual sub. This will give the unit additional cushioning to prevent skipping.