Driver's break light wont work (Wierd)

bham a3

Reaction score
Hi All,

My break light went out on Friday, so yesterday I changed the bulb, to find that it still doesn't work. With this I then checked the fuse for the break lights, to find that it was fine.

Hmmm. With this I then check the actual bulb with a volt tester and it was fine, I then tested the contacts on the fixture to find that no voltage was present.

I know what usuallt the wiring loom comes up one said of the car then splits onto the opposite side.

Has anybody else had this problem? If so how did you overcome it? Also would a diagnostic pick up were the issue is?

have you tried the switch behind the brake pedal apparently it's a common thing to break had it with mine and had me baffled for ages.

I havent tried that becuase the passengers side works but then the dirvers side doesnt. I did think it could be that cos I had it on my mk3 Fiesta.

By the looks of your name you are based in Brum, where abouts are you??

Have you got it on Vagcom, that may bring up a fault for you...also does it show in your dash that the bulb is out??

Hi Ya in Erdington, By Sutton Colddifeld. Na havent got vag com to test it out on. nope no light on my dash either. I thought that when it went, but nothink. Strange

OK, so it does defo sound like a wiring issue, if its not even picking it up at the dash, best bet would be to get to a local garage or a mate that has the Vagcom or even some diagnostic software, as this should be able to point you in the right direction to start with at least.

That was my next point of action, will the software pick up exactly were it is or just a local area were the problem is?

Yeah strange isnt bringing up a light out warning, wiring TBH IMHO, check the loom across the rear of the car, I cant remember 100% but I thought it came in from one side to feed across to the other side so maybe its got snagged somewhere across the rear or wet down in the passenger side rear quarter which is also where the damned siren is housed, god thats a PIA to change.

I Replaced The same bulb about 4months ago and it was fine aftger that.

If it did come up with a light what would be your surggestion then? That Housing is a pain to get out aswell, I wont look forward to changing that lol

I've booked the car in with my local RAC man who has a diagnostic software and will tell me where the fault is.

Let us know how it goes, that was my next piece of advise for you.

when I changed the light on my A3 (driver's light), i took me 4 times to finally get it working properly. LOL

I would say that it is a simple connection problem or you didn't push it in fully

Sorted ya it was a connection problem, there very very sensitive on were they sit for it to work, I replaced a couple of other bulbs aswell, while I was there as the paint off the indicator bulb was flacking off, showing that they get red hot!!!

Good stuff, glad its all sorted...

You can now walk around shouting "i have seen the light" :jester: