Retrofitting to take flipout keys

S3BeemerBeater

Reaction score
I know, another 'retro' question!

I have added an A4 Avant to the S3 which 'She who must be obeyed' will use as primary transport.

It's an 96 model with an alarm and remote locking, but not the flip out key type. I spoke to a Stealer about this - can't have the flip out key type, not compatible (even though it's a factory alarm).

Have read on the forum about replacing the central locking pump as the sensor for the flip out key remote is in there.

Can anyone confirm the accuracy of this and will/can it be operated by the flip out remote?

Basically, the misses wants a flip out key like the S3's - what do I have to do to achieve this (apart from buying a newer Avant!)?

Cheers!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif

PS

I'm posting this here, not it Tech, cos you get answers here from knowledgable bods, so Moderators, with respect, LEAVE IT WHERE IT IS TIL THERE'S A DEFINATIVE ANSWER PLEASE !!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yes it is in the pump. I can only get the 2-button to work - the 3-button has a button to release the boot, my 98 1.8T A3 doesn't have a mechanical release so it won't take advantage of this third button, though the other 2 buttons work fine. At the moment I have a flip key/remote, and I'm just using the remote with my original key ie. the key on the flip is not for my car until I find someone who can cut for me and program the immobiliser. Look for my other post or do a search no central locking pump on the A3/S3 forum, I posted the part number.

Good luck

Hi - How does the central locking work at present? If its through an external fob and is the key blade of the sqaure section type ie. flat blade with cut on the side rather than edge like on house keys?

If so you can contact www.randrsecurity.com and they can cut/program the flip blade, and the other black section you can order from vagparts - tell Martyn I sent you! First ring randr and see if they can help you out first as I went through them. You will need the immobiliser chip (iff iftted on that car) transfered from the current keys to the new one in order to start it!

Good luck!

Naresh

[ QUOTE ]
koonl said:
Yes it is in the pump. I can only get the 2-button to work - the 3-button has a button to release the boot, my 98 1.8T A3 doesn't have a mechanical release so it won't take advantage of this third button, though the other 2 buttons work fine. At the moment I have a flip key/remote, and I'm just using the remote with my original key ie. the key on the flip is not for my car until I find someone who can cut for me and program the immobiliser. Look for my other post or do a search no central locking pump on the A3/S3 forum, I posted the part number.

Good luck

[/ QUOTE ]

cool, thanks for that - but just so I have it straight in my own mind:

Your A3 didn't have remote locking, you switched central locking pumps to one with a sensor, got yourself a remote key and programmed that to the sensors frequency?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif