Sky InsuranceJMB Retrofits

Thread: Radio reception

4th Gear

Status

Radio reception

I'm hoping somebody may be able to point me in the right direction.

My parents A3 has the symphony stereo and when listening to AM (Radio 5) the reception is terrable. It crackles and buzzes and breaks up, although it is fine on FM stations.

I have checked that the aerial cable is actually physically plugged in to the back of the radio and all seems good.

We have check the aerial base on the roof and it appears to have some electronics in it, could this be the problem? Not sure if this is relevant or not but there is also a junction box on top of the sub, is this a diversity unit? Is there a seperate aerial for AM to FM?

Hoping somebody can help.
    03 Ebony black S3, Dieselgeek short shift, its started..

2. # ADS
    ADS

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    so do they have an 8L A3 1st of all?

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

usually growling at something

Status

AM reception

Welcome to another of those common issues with S3's unless I have been just unlucky

1st S3 AM reception was so bad I had to replace the processor inside the stereo at 80000 miles
    2nd S3 AM reception poor even with a booster - sold car at 60000 miles although was starting to fail
    3rd S3 AM reception acceptable at best but seems to be going the same way as the other 2 - 68000 miles

Conclusion

100-150 for a processor replacement through an audio store or pick up a second hand / refurb unit on ebay

or

Try the Audi stafford store on ebay they usually have some stuff going cheap
    If you aint first you're last

4th Gear

Status
    Yes it is an 8L A3 2001 and it is the Symphony 1 with cassette and single CD.

What is the processor inside the strereo?

So is it unlikely to be the aerial then, more likely to be the HU itself?

Defo worth the wait :)

Status
    Hey I have the same prob with my 2002 S3, sometimes the AM works really good, other times, its totally crap!!!

Would it help if i used an aerial booster, you know the type that yuo would connect when you plug an aftermarket stereo in???

4th Gear

Status
    Just realised that I should have said MW not AM. Is there an easy way to test the various components individually?

Neutral

Status
    It could be a lot to do with the fact that FM (frequency modulation) has a small bandwidth so the sound waves dont often interfere with each other, hence better reception on the move. AM (amplitude modulation) has a wide bandwidth which often overlaps distant transmisions causing interfearence and white noise. It also it suffers more from RFI (radio frequency interfearence) from any cable with a vlotage running through it and MEMIC (mobile electro magnetic incombatibility) from moving mechanical parts such as flywhels and alternators. All this adds up to AM reception being poor for moving vehicles it could be just that your area is flooded by signals on a simmilar wave length or modulation are interfearing with radio fives frequency.
    AUDI A3 1.8 T, K&N PANEL, SCORPION TWIN PIPES FROM CAT BACK, FULL LEATHER, 18'RS4's, BAILEY DV, FULL REIGER BODY KIT. HELLA TWIN HEADLIGHT CONVERSION. COMING SOON...S3 312MM BRAKES, CC REMAP.

4th Gear

Status
    It didn't use to be this bad, it seems to have gotten bad all of a sudden

4th Gear

Status
    i've got an as new in-line signal booster I used, and it works well, it's for sale if anyone's interested

4th Gear

Status
    Go on then how much?