A3 clocks

Crashlanding

Reaction score
hey up!

my speedo has stopped working and my fuel gauge seems to goup and down when i set off driving! werid i know

its a 1998 1.6 A3

would new clocks solve this or is thre another way of checking?

thanks

seems to be speedo TBH, u need a speedo new or one with less than 100 miles on clock for dealer to fit, I got new one on fleabay & had fitted to car by stealers, as it requires coding keys, security etc again with germany, buy from somewhere else then ask them to fit it, there are people out there that can fit/turn back the speedo's readings but thats up to you mate, but you could take apart & check for any dry solder joints but only if your handy with cars & solder iron & a meter.

But I took mine apart being fairly technically minded as my speedo was playing up, I couldnt see any faults so put down to the chips on the pcb that cant be fixed, so replaced speedo, worked a charm.

well new clocks I waited months for on fleabay as it wasnt a constant fault but cost me £50-100 & then audi charge me I think £140 so it saved me a huge amount cause clocks from audi are vastly expensive.

The total cost to replace the clocks in my S3 was around the £500 mark, and that was for brand new clocks supplied and fitted by the dealer, thankfully it was done under warranty so I didn't have to pay, but thought it may give you an idea of cost.

hmmm thats dear!

i think ill get the connections checked first as its not in my budget! might be cheaper to sell and get a new one!

its not the clocks its the road speed sensor that stops the speedo working audi call it a impulse sensor easy to change a bit fiddly goes in the back of the gearbox quite a comon problem

I have put a brand new sensor on, but this did not fix the problem... Any more suggestions??

did u get the right sensor what gaerbox is ure car 5 or 6 speed quattro or fwd