Have I got the right spark plugs for my S3

comdw

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Went into GSF for a few bits the other day. Asked for a set of standand spark plugs for my MY2000 pre-facelift S3 (APY engine code). They gave me Bosch Super Plus FR7KPP33+ - anyone know if these are the right ones before I start the job?

Well for a start they are 0.7mm but everything I read on here says the gap on an S3 should be 0.8mm?

Could it be different for each spark plug model or engine code?

OK... anyone know from memory what size spark plug socket is required?

they tried to sell me the Bosch Super Plus but I insisted on NGK, iooo there not cheap .... then said about 8 quid each instead of 7 quid. sure mine are NGK PFR7Q also.

1.8T's usually have NGK PFR6Q plugs as standard, 7 on NGK would be 1 heat range colder. Bosch go down in numbers to get colder plugs, but I dont know what the Bosch plug would be to be equivalent to NGK

We stick to NGK where possible.

I think "6" in an NGK is "6" in a bosch, but yes, they go the different way, so "7" (cooler) in an NGK is equicv of "5" in a bosch. Would not use Super 4's in a 18T engine.

Try PFR6Q for a stock engine, PFR7Q if you have an "agressive" remap (otherwise stock is fine). Or save shed loads and buy NGK copper BPR 6E (or BPR 7E for cooler) at £1.99 each!

So Bosch FR7s that I have are actually hotter than standard? :confused:

They aren't Super 4s, just super plus - only one electrode.

I took one plug out last night and it was NGK, and although it would have fitted, it clearly had a bigger gap than the Bosch one. I'm going to take the Bosch ones back to GSF and get NGKs.

I couldn't find any reference to the Bosch part number online. Their lookup chart says I need 'N30' plugs whatever they are.

Also I snapped the tab off the coilpack connector - whats the knack to getting these off without breaking them?