Trolley Jack

Jay

Reaction score
I need to jack the front of the car up wheres the best point to position a trolley jack?

cheers

If I were you I'd be using ramps on the front wheels and chocks on the rear wheels. I certainly wouldn't want to be working under a car held up by a trolley jack of any kind!

In answer to your question, depending on how low your car is(i.e get right underneath and jack it up from a strong chassis point) or you can jack it up on the Sills, (should be about 3-4 inches from the corner of arch) then find an appropriate place on the body of the car to place an axle stand.

Dont go under the car with just the trolley jack holding it up, because they can leak oil slowly while your under the car, fail and collapse.
Especially the cheap ones.

Right thanks, Think i'll hold on till i can source some stands.

good idea to have at least three points of safety - trolly jack, axle stands and i even put the wheel ive just taken off under the car too....

but then i am a paranoid freak!

word of caution, i used the sill to jack it up a few times and bent the metal - now its rusting so have had to take the plastic skirt off and paint it all - yes i did jack it at the jacking points.

hope that helps

cjhill, its not that you jacked it up at the wrong point, its that you used the wrong jack. My mate jacked mine up with a standard trolley jack with the circular jacking point and it bent the metal, same point i'd had it lifted previous day.

good idea to have at least three points of safety - trolly jack, axle stands and i even put the wheel ive just taken off under the car too....

but then i am a paranoid freak!

Fully agree with this set-up and I also use the spare wheel jack as well for the other side.

The point I use is inside just after this sill, there are two 'rubber mounts' I use the 'round one' of the two with a block of wood as an inbetween. These 'rubber mounts' are located around the car as where points to use the jack on.