s3 dash

mike182

Reaction score
Hi does anyone know how to remove the dash(without breaking it) on my 2000 s3 so i can replace the flasher unit..???...any advice would be great..

Not sure what you mean by the flasher unit, but here is how you remove the dash....

The bottom 3 sections will have to be removed first, torque bolts on the sides of the glove box and on the panel below the steering wheel next to the fuse panel, there are some other bolts inside the glove box and around the steering rack, just look out for them. Then pull the panel off it should have a few popers that you just need to give a tug, top corners of the panel next to the steering wheel just feel your way around for the others. Watch out for the bolts on the bottom of the panel, like i said have a good look around before you go pulling it off..
You then have to remove the central consol by unscrewing the ash tray, then the plastic trim around the stereo etc.. held on by a few clips simular to the panel around the steering column. Once this is off you will see some screws that also need to come off to remove the center consol, just need to drop it down to get to the dash, so dont worry about removing it, just rest it somewhere where the wires are not stretched.
Once you've done this providing all the screws and bolts are off, all you have to do is remove a metal bar behind the airbag and the top half of the dash should pull out if you pull it towards the headliner.

Edit : also just forgot that you'll need to remove the instrument cluster before you take the top half of the dash out, two screws sitting behind the plastic trim above the steering wheel, then just two clips behind the dials that pop off and they are free.

cheers for the reply but i think theres a mix up as it's the hazard switch i need to get out so i only need to remove the piano surround to get to it..????

If your changing the switch you'll need to disconnect the wires from the back of the center consol, my advice for the best access id take the glove box off, its easy, just a few torque screws and then remove the center consol as stated below and you can get full access to all the wires and the hazard warning light switch.

cheers for the reply but i think theres a mix up as it's the hazard switch i need to get out so i only need to remove the piano surround to get to it..????

No need for glovebox out, just remove radio, then remove piano trim & then pull it out, should be enough cable on end to pull out & disconnect, just make sure you hang the cable or tape it so it doesnt full through the fixing hole in the dash so can then use for new one, if it does full through just use coat hanger to feed back out to front to plug in again.

If you have the facelift dash with the cupholder then you can half open the cupholder then just carefully pull the piano surround forwards and it will come off.

or facelift only.... you can get a small flat screwdriver and unclip the dummy buttons next to the esp slip you finger in and pull it off, the the hazard switch should then pop off!!

i did this not so long ago was very very easy to do a proper 5 min job.
just pop off the piano black tim around the hazard button and pop out the cup holder then slip your hand in on that side and the screwdriver on the other to push the clips in on the hazard light and slide it out. Just make sure you get the right hazard switch unit cos they are the small button one on the AMK face lift model. I got mine direct from audi for about 20 quid

mines not the face lift model is the removal of the dash the same...??

errrrr i dont know TBH i would assume it is ? if i was you id go take a quick trip down tohalfords and have a reccie at a haines manual for an A3 the dash should be the same mate and it will tell you in there how to remove the flasher unit :)

mines not the face lift model is the removal of the dash the same...??

Well the center console trim is one whole piece of piano black plastic, dont try flexing the trim out without removing the ashtray as that has 2 screws behind it that holds the trim in place you need to remove radio, behind the radio are 2 retaining screws or should be anyway, along with ashtray out & screws behind that enables you to remove the trim & thus access the button areas, I dont remember if you can pull the hazard button out without removing this trim.