What size tyre is best??

$clarky$

Reaction score
Hi guys, just bought a pair of 18" alloys and need a set of tyres!! What is the best size and make to go for!! I would like a tyre that doesnt give to much road noise inside!!

225/40/18 is the best size, keeps your speedo in check

Cant help on type of tyre

Personally would go for 215/35/18, slightly stretched sidewall, and anything bigger than 35 profile makes the rims look too small imo.

On the make, a fair few different views on this, proxies havnt done me wrong tho, but also thinking of experimenting on different types as ill need a new set soon.

Not only is that the wrong rolling radius (an inch too small), which is a lot, but you'll also pay a lot more for a 35 profile tyre than the correct 225/40/18 size tyre (about £25 a corner).
I'd recommend Goodyear F1 GSD3's, gret in wet or dry, not too bad longevity, and cool looking into the bargain. Log onto www.blackcircles.com, select fully fitted option, don't order anything but ring up the local recommended fitter and he'll do it even cheaper than the web price.

Hi guys, just bought a pair of 18" alloys and need a set of tyres!! What is the best size and make to go for!! I would like a tyre that doesnt give to much road noise inside!!

It's a good point, some reputable brands make horribe noises, dunlops SP's are notorious for it! When I got my S3, it has them on it, and despite only being a 2 year old car, audi had fitted a new rear wheel bearing and new rear diff under warranty.....it still whined at 60-90mph horribly! Thankfully I sussed what it was pretty much straight away and once I swapped wheels over with my golf, running on gsd3's, the noise disappeared totally! There was no unusual wear on them, it was just noisey tread block! I have toyo t1rs and they are quiet, and goodyear gsd3 f1s are quiet too. BU tyou dont have to spend mega bucks to get decent tyres. I was very surprised to say the least when I drove a colleagues mk5 GTI recently that he had had "runway Enduro" tyres fitted by the MOT centre, in 225/40 18's, for £52 a side fitted! The car actually drove pretty well, no tramlining, very good grip (only tried in the dry though) and for the money they seemed to be excellent.

Although the 225/40/18 is the size recommended by Audi, there are more cars running 235/40/18's (the rented Mondeo I had in Germany last week had 235/40 18 conti's on it...on a diesel!) now and the tyre price is not so much more than a 225. Depending on rim size, you may wish to try the larger size, ( they sit well on 8j rims) remember to tell your insurance of the change!
As for the speedo, well mine on 235/40/18's still over reads about 2% at 100mph when compared to my Tom Tom GPS, so it seems to correct the inbuilt audi speedo error a little bit.