IRREGULAR FLASHING

HOUCH

Reaction score
Hi guys

Just seeing if anyone else has had this problem before getting parts.

Indicators flashing irregularly when you move stalk up and down thought may be flasher unit but when you activate the hazzard warning switch they light up and flash as should do, so thinking may could be stalk itself.

Any advice appreciated many thanks Houch.

yep happened on mine too when a bulb went probably something to do with the blown bulb not taking current..

hope its as simple as this

My indicators will flash out of time when coming off roundabouts etc. I've guessed that it’s an issue with the stalk and its self cancel function as it only happens when the steering wheel is at a precise position.
Was going to post about it but it doesn't bother me anymore and presumed it was a quirk of the car?

Its a common problem mate, its caused by the flasher unit inside the hazard switch, the hazards will work fine but the indicators will have a mind of there own. I think the unit has two circuits inside it. The hazard switch is easily replaced and costs about £30 iirc, mine went when id had my car about 6 months.

had the same problem,eventually the indicator will just become irritating
I have a brand new one as Audi changed mine under warranty if you need one PM me
I paid 28 quid delivered

Cheers guys awesome I knew the answer would be here !!!!!

Flasher unit sounds far better than new stalk just couldnt understand why the hazzards were working fine, off to the audi stealers now dont like going there get a rash.

Many thanks again Houch.

Just another note on this one for future reference...

I was having weird indicator behaviour on my A3 once upon a time, there was a relay behind the driver's side dash-trim (around and below the steering wheel). When I took the trim off I found a bank of relays on/by a plate of power distribution blocks. I gave them all a wiggle and a shove and never had a problem again...

Regards,

Rob.

Hi Houch, did you manage to solve the indicator problem, if so what was the cure as i have a similar fault with mine ??

Yes mate "Sorted!" bought new flasher unit complete from Audi part no:
8L0941509L cost me £33 quid with the vat, really simple to change no more troubles since.

Good luck with yours Houch.

mike182 had mine off me for 20 quid still in the box and delivered to his door
pleasure doing buisness

Just remove the radio with keys carefully but make sure you have your radio code in the booklet 1st or a towel over the dash & gearbox to rest radio on with wiring still plugged in so no scratches, pull of the piano trim above then you can easily get to the hazard switch which should just pull out mate, then unplug, then reverse of what just done after checking works properly of course.

Hi.
Hope anyone can advise me where to get the 8L0941509L other than the dealer....

Euro car parts but they are only about £35 from a dealer anyway...

<tuffty/>

pretty much... its more than a switch, contains electronics and relays hence the price... I paid about £12 for the switch to turn off the alarm ultrasonics from a dealer...

<tuffty/>

Just paid £41.29 inc vat, from Warrington Audi, just need a set of radio keys now to remove radio to get at hazard switch.

DC

You can do it without taking the radio out - pop the panel above the radio and it will reveal the switch fully. It's fiddly, but only takes 10 minutes to replace.

I'll try cleaning it with Contact Cleaner before replacing... trying to give some life to it. :)

Update:
Tried cleaning the switch with contact cleaner and hook-it up.
It didn't work :(
but I tried fiddling the back-end where the harness connects, it blink once. Then gone.
So confirm the 8L0941509K this time part number is K needs replacement, after the A3 did 244xxxKM / 7 years.

Hope I don't steal this thread. hehehehe.

Update:
Tried cleaning the switch with contact cleaner and hook-it up.
It didn't work :(
but I tried fiddling the back-end where the harness connects, it blink once. Then gone.
So confirm the 8L0941509K this time part number is K needs replacement, after the A3 did 244xxxKM / 7 years.

Hope I don't steal this thread. hehehehe.

Cleaning the switch contacts will not work as it's almost always the relay inside the unit that gets ********...

Which car do you have? See Online spareparts catalogue for AUDI/Volkswagen/Skoda/Seat to find part numbers

mine is the A3 8L BFQ engine.
got the part nos. 8L0941509K after taking off the broken switch. I see there is another part nos. 8L0941509L, which I think is totally similar.

Hi Guys ,
I own a 2000 S4 and my indicator is playing up too . The last few months it occasionally wouldn't work first time , so I had to move the indicator stalk to the "off" position and then re-try to indicate ( usually with success ) . Now the indicator will flash once on activation but then remain dead . The hazard lights work fine . Would I be right in assuming that the wiring in a S4 would be similar , ie if I changed the Flasher Unit my indicators would work properly again ?

^^^ Yeah, I reckon if you change the Hazard Switch it'll cure it.
Now the indicator will flash once on activation but then remain dead
Sounds just like mine.
Mine went while I was on my test-drive so the garage replaced it before I bought the car!

I guess it can be confirm that the hazard switch needs replacing.
Seem to be common problem in audi, but have not heard it from other vags..

Its not uncommon with a lot of makes, a lot of cars especially older cars have a relay under the bonnet, ususlly in the fuse box, a simple job to replace. However, on my wifes A3 1.8T 51 plate, I had to remove the whole "Warning Triangle" which incorporates the relay, from the dash, a lot more fiddley to do without damage to the facia.

DC.

Thank you all for your quick follow up . I live a long way from any dealership so I will try to get the part shipped and once it is installed I'll report on any success ( or otherwise ) .

Mines the opposite, indicators work fine but hazards flash a lot faster :(

Would that just need the hazard switch replacing??

Hi guys ,
after a mere 2 week wait to get the part shipped ( which was in stock !! ) I swapped the unit and my indicators are back online . Unfortunately they are flashing very rapidly now ! Do you have any suggestions ?

mine is the A3 8L BFQ engine.
got the part nos. 8L0941509K after taking off the broken switch. I see there is another part nos. 8L0941509L, which I think is totally similar.

Figured out that the alphabet at the end of part number represents the version. L after K, meaning the L is the better part.