Problem with fitting airbag controller

Nige P

Reaction score
Had a '65535 Memory Error' on my airbag controller which I found out from this & other forums that it is a know problem with the modules and therefore requires replacement with the newer version. Sourced a new controller and just fitted but now the fault codes have increased from 3 to 10!! I have cleared them using VC but they come straight back.

Looking at the two different fault code reports (old and new) I notice that the new controller does not have anything listed for the 'Software Coding' and 'Workshop Code'. Is this likely to be the problem??

Control Module Part Number: 8L0 959 655 L
Component and/or Version: Airbag Front+Seite 9008
Software Coding: 00000
Work Shop Code: WSC 00000
10 Faults Found:
01213 - Belt Tensioner Igniter: Rear Middle (N198)
36-00 - Open Circuit
01220 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
32-00 - Please Register/Activate
01219 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
32-00 - Please Register/Activate
01044 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
35-00 - Please Register/Activate
00656 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
36-00 - Please Register/Activate
01591 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
31-00 - Please Register/Activate
01658 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
30-00 - Please Register/Activate
00591 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
00592 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
01657 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs

Think I've answered the above question from reading the Ross-Tech site: http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/airbag-coding.html

Although it says this procedure is NOT for Audi's??!!

If this is what I have to do then can I manually set the software coding using my 'unregistered' version of VC and a ebay lead? I did click on the 'Recode' box and it took me to another page, but I have no idea what codes to try.

Get the proper vagcom mate & save you all the hassle as that will advise you what to do anyway, where as the cheap shareware & crappy leads only allow certain level access along with no support from rosstech & yes it looks like you need to code the new module to get it to work with the airbags in the car, until its coded it will flag these faults as its not talking to the airbags properly to tell the module the status of the airbags.

Sorted!
Clicked on the "Recode" button and entered the workshop code & soft code that was in the old unit. Cleared the faults and voila, airbag light out for the first time in a year!!

It is possible using a crappy ebay lead and unregistered VC but do agree that the proper kit would have saved alot of time due to the providing more information in the first place. Will stick it on my shopping list.