turbo coming too soon??

sainte986

Vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
Hi there,

I bought a 1999 VW Golf GTi 1.8t 20v 150bhp about a week ago, and am loving it.

Being a turbo im still getting used to driving it, and I do enjoy the noise it makes, however, you hear the turbo start spooling up at aprox 2000rpm. Is this normal? I would have thought it would come in much later 4000+?

any advice welcome:sos:

Ah that is good to hear. its not that im complaining, its the first turbo car ive owned. I think its good I find you dont have to rev higher than 3000rpm, which is good, with still loads of power.

I would like to get a bit extra power out of it, maybe later.

besides, I enjoy the smooth power delivery and sound of the 20v engine

Thanks

Also to mention, I have noticed that it doesnt get straight up to temp like my mrs vw polo 1.4, which takes about 5-10mins and its at 90degrees, mine takes longer

if its a completely standard 1.8t then thats exactly when it should come you only get turbo LAG with bigger turbos

Ah that is good to hear. its not that im complaining, its the first turbo car ive owned. I think its good I find you dont have to rev higher than 3000rpm, which is good, with still loads of power.

I would like to get a bit extra power out of it, maybe later.

besides, I enjoy the smooth power delivery and sound of the 20v engine

Thanks

Also to mention, I have noticed that it doesnt get straight up to temp like my mrs vw polo 1.4, which takes about 5-10mins and its at 90degrees, mine takes longer
your thermostat may be sticking or temp switch playing up

I think the 20V engine is rather Loud to be honest, mine is anyway, and can't say I hear a lovely sound that you guys talk about from my 1.8 Turbo....

I've got a 1.4 polo too, and I find it gets up to temp VERY fast, faster than anything else I've driven infact!

the 1.8T takes a good 10-15minutes before it's up to 90 degrees and ready to blast a bit.....

perfectly normal.

funny this because my old 1.8T took longer to get to temp than the S3 does.....massive difference, and i dont generally boot it till im upto to temp?

My A4 1.8T gets to full operating temperature in under 10 mins, as did my Golf Turbo. Your temp sender may be faulty, especially if it hovers at 70 then rapidly increases/decreases.

For what it's worth, my R32 gets to 90c very, very quickly.

it doesnt do anything else that makes me think it is faulty..... it gets there and stays there...... just like the old car, hence why i havent done anything about it

The only other thing that has got me wondering is thinking of having it chipped, cant hurt having more power :p
But I dont no any good places to get it from, I looked on superchips website and for £500 for 40ish bhp more, seemed expensive for what you are getting.
The second thing is will things need to be replaced to handle the extra power, or will all the std stuff cope easily?