High Rev's in 5th gear

andysubaru30

Reaction score
Hi Guys.
I have a 1997 A3, and when i sit on the motor way at 70ish my revs are near up a 4000rpm.Any ideas why it is reving so high. Its obv drinking the fuel sitting that high which is no uses.One of the reasons i bought a A3 was for it to sit at a nice rpm when sitting at that speed.Its a 1.8 20v with 140,000 on the clock

Thanks

i think it could be MAF related but not too sure are the revs irregular in any other gear across the rev range at all ???

It does seem a little high that... i think mine sit's around 90 mph at those sort of revs ... i'll check on the way home from work in a half hour.... i guess someone could have fitted a lower ratio gearbox in the past... maybe off a 1.6 or summat.... clutch isn't slipping is it ???

The others gears are all i bit high aswell.If i was going about 50mph then put the foot in suddendly it will take a second to kick in if you see what i mean. Not that i know of, its the standard box. I have just had a new timing belt kit put in but was the same when i got it back,was hoping it might change.

When you put your foot down in gears do the revs rise slightly before the speed increases? If they do then there is a good chance that you clutch is on its way out.

I dont think so, i will check tomorrow. Even so that would explain such a hugh rev in 5th gear, its like i need a 6th gear if you like.

sounds dodgy to me.....

Dont know if the box was different on the non turbo, but I'd assume not.

My 5spd 1.8T does 75mph at 3k in 5th, and 100mph at 4k in 5th.