Ever seen this? Please,Please help...........

S3 Dave

Now running on Heavy Oil
Reaction score
On changing my air filter today I found that my old filter was really dirty on the last 1/4 and had light moisture on the top! At the MAF end. (condensation of some sorts)

It appears the moisture/crap is coming from the secondary pipe that runs from the air box.

With this in the unfiltered area it is causing no end of problems!!!!

I only do very short trips and have had lots of probs over the years with MAF failure and hesitancy etc etc etc.

So

What is the additional pipe for??

What could be causing moisture to come out?? (It runs close to very hot parts as you follow it round the engine bay!)

Can I disconnect it?? - What implications might that cause??

What do people do with it when they have a 57i kit etc??

Please help people i was about to consider selling the car as i was losing the faith in it!! If I can cure this it will be like 2 years stressing gone!!!

Anyone help.....................?:bye::sos::sos::sos:

OK, I think I've sorted it!!. The plastic pipe feeds the secondary air pump the pipe from the airbox is the inlet. Air is then pumped and forced into the exhaust system to aid in heating the catalyst quicker improving emissions. The pump is only really required in country's where cold start up emissions is part of the MOT. The pump housing can fail causing with time the pump to fail. I believe that this happened about 4 years ago as i remember it sounding like a space ship!!. On removing the pipe with the engine running it gurgled!!. So i removed the other pipe and blew down it it was full of water!!. Rain water has got into the broken pump and filled up the lower parts of the pipes and pump!! Under heavy load the suction from the air box has drawn moisture into my air box and filter!!.

I have got all the water out cleaned the pipes and sealed the box end. It hasn't worked for three years so it can't be that important!!
I have the pdf of how to strip the pump down and renew it from the states i think as they obviously need it working for there test!!

As i understand the later cars didn't even have it fitted!!

So for any one with unresolved weird hesitancy may i suggest a test to see if the pump is working etc etc.