BOSCH spark plugs are s**t...

Tekin

Reaction score
After fitting the BOSCH SUPER 4 509 FR 78 on my s3 40 miles later doing about 100 mph on a "private road" my car suddenly lost power and started stuttering, pulled over and lifted up the bonnet two of the coil packs popped up, pushed them back in but the car still was idling funny sort of misfiring. Checked the spark plugs one had died, 3 out of the 4 ground electrode metal bits had bent in and was touching the center electrode and that bit was covered in black dust. What a nightmare!!!!

Is there something wrong with my car? anyway the story continues...

Ended up driving to AMD with my old mans car just as it was about to shut managed to get the original audi NGK spark plugs 4 for about £50. These ones were only one spark ones but the ground electrode bit looked solid and bigger unlike the rubbish BOSH, so hopefully this NGK ones wont fail under pressure. The car is running fine now.

Met another S3 owner in the car park who is also a member of ASN and he said his always pop but never burn the spark plug so he made a custom metal plate that goes over the coil pack and screws into the to top of the engine.

Anyone else experienced anything like this?

also see http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=56712
for the first part of this thread.

Thanks

Tekin

I've got Bosch Super 4's (FR78 model like you) fitted to my S3 at the moment and have had no problems whatsoever with them.

I think it may be more than just coincidence that your car had killed 2 sets of spark plugs in such a short space of time!