Woe is me. I love my car.
Audi S3 2002 BAM engine.
She has decided to start making a tapping/rattling sound above 70 mph. It sounds like something metallic is brushing against something that is rotating (i.e a playing card hitting a bicycle wheel sound).
Through the gears it is fine at low speed it is fine. It is just when I get to the 70mph mark does the sound come in. Under acceleration with full or partial the sound starts, foot off and the sound goes.
1. I thought it was the Throttle body but that is all fine.
2. Both fans seem to be fine and nothing is poking out to be caught
3. I've had a good look around underneath the bonnet and with the car jacked up but can see nothing untoward.
4. VAG.COM doesn't bring anything up
5. Gave the exhaust, heatshield, CAT a good shake - but nothing
I've trawled the internet and found various other makes of cars with a similar issue. Such as 'pinking', CAT clogged up and Timing Belt/Tensioner - are these easy to look at or check does anyone know?
Anyone know of what else to have a look at before I take it to a garage.