Monster MotorsportEM Tuning
    Reverse Gear

Status

Looking for more speed

Hi everyone,

I have a 1.8 20v A3 and im looking to get some more speed out of it. I no everyone will be saying get the 1.8T but i cant get insured on that at the moment as im only 17. Ive got a K&N on there at the moment, and im looking at getting a straight through soon, but i was wondering if theres much else i can do to get some more power out of it. Ive been looking at cams but i dont know if its going to do enough for the amount it will cost me.

Anyone got any advise?

Thanks, Ollie
    GOODBYE --- A3 1.8 se silver, 18" shoes, debadged, lowered on konis, angel eyes.

HELLO --- 2003 A3, yellow, 2.0fsi, full leather, sat nav, multichanger, parking sensors

2. # ADS
    ADS

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    take your mud flaps off....remove your wipers.... no grill? ...i think without a turbo your stuffed mate.....the amount your gonna have to spend to get more out of it, you might aswell spend on insurance for a 1.8T
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

Grey Triumph Sprint 1050 ST
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold

VAG HUNTER

Status
    erm i had a 1.8 20v n/a and couldnt really get much speed out of it without major mods camshafts etc,basically the only thing without spending much money would be to strip it out to save weight those cars are heavy so removing the seats etc,basically to get the best perfromance from your car without spending much money and without ripping seats out etc you can only really fit an induction kit and stainless exhaust which wont add much really and twinspark plugs etc and run it on shell v-power petrol,you could remap it for like 300 quid which would probably add 5-6bhp.so basically i know its what everyone says but save your money until you can afford a 1.8t or an s3 which is what i did.or if your looking for a nippy car with cheap insurance you maybe should have looked at the old honda civic, saxo vts,honda crx. sorry its not much help but i was in the same situation a few years back.
    A4 TDI S-LINE

6th Gear

Status
    Yeah dont spend any money on it it's a waste of time

it's a nice car for a 17yr old anyway just be happy with it until you can insure a 1.8T of some description
    *Gone* 1997 A3 1.6 facelift headlights, 16"1.8t Alloys, full rear tints. 110k

You built a time machine.........out of a delorean!?!?!

3rd Gear

Status
    Man, your on my boat. At your age i had a A4 1.8T then when that went and i wanted another audi so i got the A3 1.8 N/A, (which i thought would be as good as the A4 without the costly drawbacks) however, i found it is limited in what you can do to it. I say just keep yours clean and facelift it if it isn't one already. I did take the A4's Remus backbox and modded it to fit my A3 but when it went on it woke the neighbours each time i snuck in at early hours, drank alot of petrol but it did make the responsiveness abit sharper. Because of this modding barrier i will be getting a Civic Type R when i turn 21.
    You have a K&N! Please try and get a vid or sound clip up as it would be interesting to know what it sounds like!
    2006 - A4 - 1997 1.8T 20VS, Full Black Recaro Leathers, Concert, Climate Control, Facelifted, Remus, Front armrest! - Sold
    2007 - A3 20vs -bridge gap motor....
    2008 - Think its time for the Civic Type R.
    2009 - Screw a Type R. Got a VR6 instead (missed even now)
    2011 - Focus St170. < what was i thinking...
    2012 - Lateee 8L S3 with EVERY extra....Broken...other asn members enjoying my parts!
    NOW! - B5 S4 Avant - 2.7 Twin Turbo POWWEERR! WWOOOOOSSSHHH!

A3 - 1.8Ts

Status
    At your age I had my feet, so be patient fella....Anyway, at 17, the only speed you should be worried about is how fast the seats fold back!
    Turbo Sport, Auto (I know!), A lot of 's -and rising [latest add: Recon'd. tranny] sunk in her since Aug. 07...

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Clach View Post
    At your age I had my feet, so be patient fella....Anyway, at 17, the only speed you should be worried about is how fast the seats fold back!

Nice One. How to brighten up the morning.

Where are you in Oxford BTW Clach? I work at the University, although I come to work by bicycle/motorbike?

Cheers,
    Alistair

"Why don't you listen to something really classical, like Mozart, Mendelssohn or Motorhead?"
    Arnold Rimmer, 1988

Commuting & Weekend Fun:
    Yamaha YZF-1000R Thunder Ace in Blue/Black

Practical Alternative (Still fun though!!):
    S3 2002/51 AMK Silver, Symphony II + Bose + xCarLink + AndyMac Stealth Sub, Metallic Mirrors, Heated Black Leather, Cruise control.

4th Gear

Status
    buy my car

A3 - 1.8Ts

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by alijames View Post

Nice One. How to brighten up the morning.

Where are you in Oxford BTW Clach? I work at the University, although I come to work by bicycle/motorbike?

Cheers,
    I used to live in Jericho, but now live off J6 on the M40 - Not quite Oxford I know. However, I spend Saturday's in Oxford in the education dept. up Nordham Gardens...if you fancy a cheeky pint and a talk about ambient lighting and what tyres to buy (lol) on one Sat Afternoon mate, just gives a shout.
    Turbo Sport, Auto (I know!), A lot of 's -and rising [latest add: Recon'd. tranny] sunk in her since Aug. 07...