How do I program "boot" button on remote?

koonl

Reaction score
I have got my self a 3-button remote and have programmed the lock/unlock button to my 98R A3 1.8T. Is there any way of programming the third button for the boot release? If not, I'd rather fancy a 2-button remote - can you de-program a remote from your car so that I can sell it on?

Thanks

The 98 R A3 has a mechanical rather than electronic boot release, therefore the 3rd button on your remote is redundant.

Hi could you please describe the programming procedure you used for your car, as this is a common question on the forum and would become useful to many of us.
Thanks.

Did it last night after fitting a new Central Locking Pump from a 2000 A3 (has the remote receiver installed).

1: Put a spare key into the ignition and turn until the last position before starting the engine. 2: Close the door and lock with another key by inserting the key into the lock.
3: Press any key on the remote you want to program - the indicator will flash once
4: Wait 10 seconds
5: Press the unlock button on the remote. The doors will unlock and flash the indicator to confirm programming complete. Take the key out of the ignition and retest.
6: (Optional) Repeat process for other key fobs, but perform step 3: with two presses of the remote, and three presses for the third remote etc

That's it. It is advisable to perform this procedure while the window is down incase there is a problem. Also check total window closure by keeping either button pressed down.

Don't know how to unprogram if I wanted to get rid of the remote, so if anyone knows that would be a great help. BTW, does anyone have a 2-button they want to swap for my 3-button as I understand my car has a mechanical rather than electrical boot release?

Koon

[ QUOTE ]
koonl said:

Don't know how to unprogram if I wanted to get rid of the remote, so if anyone knows that would be a great help. BTW, does anyone have a 2-button they want to swap for my 3-button as I understand my car has a mechanical rather than electrical boot release?

Koon

[/ QUOTE ]

Would say removal of the battery would prove the point, take the battery out, leave it out a couple of seconds and then put it back in, and now the programming should be lost.

Naresh, the details on reprogaming the buttons on the remote is in the owners manual....well it is in the English, German and Dutch manuals I have /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif