S3 Aftermarket Recaro Seats

dinsdale66

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Just wondering of anyone could comment on experiences installing recaro seats in an S3 (either 8L or 8P)? (I have the 8L 2001 model with original electric Recaros)

Basically I am looking for a seat with tilt adjustment on the seat base/cushion. Trying to keep my lanky 6'4" frame comfy for the long drives!

The local (Australia) Recaro distributer tells me none of their seats have that adjustment - in contradiction to the details at Recaro.com! According to the brochure the Style and Sport models have optional electric height/tilt adjustment. Distributer says they don't. WTF?

I was also pretty disapointed to find the 8P S3 has worse seats than the 8L :-(

I had Recaro speeds in my S3, pic here :-

http://www.oreton.com/images/cars/s3/new_recaro1.jpg

I fitted them because I was sick of sliding around on the Nappa leather, i was spending way too much time hanging on to the steering wheel, trying to keep myself in position when i should have been providing steering input :)

Very basic though, only tilt adjustment on the back, however the seat base was a LOT lower than the standard Recaros.

were you able to use the existing seat mounts in your s3?

Thanks Stewart. They look great. Lower is good!

I might have to go back to the dealer and try again. I got the idea they just fobbed me off with a "can't help you" before.

Cheers.

I have some recaro A8's being trimmed at the moment at MJ interiors in Leeds that will be going in my S£. Hoping they will fit on standard subframes, but will report back in 2 weeks.

were you able to use the existing seat mounts in your s3?

No, you need bespoke Recaro subframes.

I also forgot to mention that they are MASSIVELY lighter than the lardy standard seats. So much so that it will release some potential performance from your car. It's like losing the weight of a heavy bloke that wasn't there, if that makes sense lol.

I have some recaro A8's being trimmed at the moment at MJ interiors in Leeds that will be going in my S£. Hoping they will fit on standard subframes, but will report back in 2 weeks.

A8's!?!?! - They are some frigging sexy seats - fancy swapping them for some RS4 seats plus cash? :(

Hi Stewart,
I'm tempted to get a new set of recaros too. Fancy something lighter, so non-electric i guess.

were the new Recaro's easy to fit?
Can any garage fit them basically?

Cheers,
Glen

Hi Stewart,
I'm tempted to get a new set of recaros too. Fancy something lighter, so non-electric i guess.

were the new Recaro's easy to fit?
Can any garage fit them basically?

Cheers,
Glen

If you can't fit them yourself, get yourself certified as disabled!

Piece of cake, 2 bolts, 2 plastic covers at the rear of the runners, undo 3 connectors and they slide out.

The bespoke Recaro subframes are a direct replacement for the A3 subframe.

had the same seats in my mk4 golf. comfy and grippy, and like stewart says, a LOT lower. :yes:
a cheap recaro seat, but definatly a nice seat.
fitted mine at home on driveway. old seats out and new seats in, in about a hour. not a lot to it.
tempted to go for some in my a3