Help! What's this light mean??

Lee_shep

Reaction score
I've just got me S3 back from lending it my friend for a few days and there is a light on the dash! It came on when I started it and he said that it must of only come on then because he hadnt seen it! I've looked in teh book and it doesnt say what it is! Anyone know? And how I can clear it? Would it be a good idea to disconnect the battery for an hour and hope it clears?

Here it is!

SNV30681.jpg

Thanks
Lee

Its your Emission Control System Light. Get it on vagcom. Could be a number of things like your lambda sensor(s) etc. Mine lit up like that when my temp sensor went.

My friend put some 97 octane fuel in and my remap says a 98 is required on the paperwork! Could this cause it? I havent got vagcom, is it something I have to go the dealers for?

Doubt that would cause it mate. It's more likely that its come on because your emissions system has detected your emissions are too high for some reason. You dont necessarily need to go to the dealer, an independent will be able to scan it, as will the AA/RAC etc if you're a member. Someone on the forum near you may offer their services for a pint or two as well!!

i'd be surprised if your fuel type brought that light about. get it hooked up to vagcom is the only next step!

That light means he's ragged the **** off it ;)

The difference of 1 octaine raiting wouldnt do anything so wouldnt be worrying about it being that, the amount of times cetain fuel suppliers have been found to be supplying lower quality fuel that advertised is laughable

As Noggy says, it could be Lambda Probe, Engine Sensor, alot of different things, but as their all on an electric circuit its hard to tell without getting it plugged into a computer and reading the fault code

He said he hadnt been booting it! ha ha!

I am an AA member.. Are you saying taht if I rang them now they would come out and look at it? Am I best not to drive it until it's sorted, I know that it needs plugging in but I'm not sure what the engine sensor or lambada do! I'm no mechanic or have any knowledge about these cars!

If you're more than a mile away or have home start or whatever then why not!? Their diagnostic should pick up something if your ECS light is on!!!! It depends what it is mate, it's prob a sensor of some sort and you probably are ok to drive it (unless you're noticing any other symptoms?) as it's just an orange light. However, i would get it checked asap if it were me, just because i'm paranoid about stuff going wrong!

I wouldn't worry about it being thrashed - that's probably not the cause!! It could be anything. Mine came on when i was in town and I was definately nowher near thrashing mine.

I disconnected the battery as the Audi had been stood for a while whilst in the body shop having stonechips removed and I'd bought a new one today to put on. I left it for 1/2 hour and connected it back up and now the light has gone off.. Took it for a spin and put some v-power in and it's still off.. God knows what that was.. I suppose something small could of flagged up and now it's cleared? I'll just see if it comes on again and take it to a garage.