Smoking S3

RoryS3

Reaction score
Hi Peeps,

I jumped into my S3 this avo and switched the climate on. Then i noticed a massive plume of white smoke pouring out the back of my car. Im thinking dang what hell!!!! so i jumped out and looked at the tail pipes and it was coming from the exhaust system.

I tried to smell it to see if smelt of oil incase i have detonated the turbo (car has only done 40600miles) so im hoping its not that....... but i couldnt smell anything but exhaust gasses and steam!!?? :think: where is this water coming from and how is it getting into the exhaust system??

it did this once before too (only had the car 2 months) and im sure i didnt even have the climate on at the time. i was just driving off down the road and it started smoking.... same thing exhaust gasses and steam!???

I hope its nothing major..... any help on this one would be greatly appreciated :sm4:

Rory

If it's white smoke then I'd place my guess with head gasket, as white smoke is normally water. If it has a blue tinge to it then that is likely to be oil in which case I'd guess turbo.

ahhhhhhhhhhh nips ok mate well i guess its off to the stealers with the KY jelly then! lol

If your in Salisbury it may be worth trying ABTech off the Marchwood Bypass or maybe someone like Monks in Southampton?

Sounds like the headgasket, water circulates around the pistons to cool them down, when the head gasket goes the water gets into the chamber and burns through.. you can change it yourself, just send it off to get your head skimmed, did one today. Takes a while tho.

Yeah might give ABTech ago mate cheers! thanks for the replys guys:yes: tis much appreciated!

I reckon it might be your turbo. Whatever you do don't drive the car any more!

I dont think its anything major because it doesnt happen very often. I took the car for a drive last night and it was fine, it was ok this morning to. I have looked at the oil cap and thats ok no gunk and the coolant level has not moved a millimetre! maybe my car just loves to help the environment by making clouds of steam lol

why has nobody suggested condensation in the oil from short journeys? Loads of cars give out steam for a while after starting in the mornings, it's perfectly normal.

lol no mate im deffo not a saints fan :happy: good point Prawn that could explain why everything looks normal, i only drive 12miles a day total! lol

lol i guess thats the perks of living and working in smallsbury:sm4: when i move on site at the hospital i wont be doing any miles then!! i will have to take the car out in the eve for a rip up the 303 :sly: