My Audi S3 - new owner (w/pictures)

Jimmeh

Reaction score
Picked her up on Saturday. Within 2 hours of selling my 1.8T Sport, I was testing driving the S3 for the second time..

2001, X Reg. 93k miles, cambelt at 69k. 12mnths MOT. 6mnths TAX. 1yrs warranty. and then the usual S3 refinements (inc. sunroof..)

I'm very happy with it. As I've said in previous threads, I have never seen another S3 this colour before; on the road OR on the internet. Originally owned by a Dr. so I assume it was a prefered colour of his.

Some pictures..

DSC09347.jpg

DSC09320.jpg

DSC09256.jpg

I need a weekend to work on her fully. To get the machine polisher out and correct the paintwork. One or two areas need work, wet sanding etc, but the whole thing is covered (COVERED) in swirls..

I managed to give it a thorough wash/gut yesterday (didn't get the chance to take the wheels off..) and cleanse and then wax it. I've got a alot to do to get it up to 'my standards', but will be a fair few weekends away yet. (unless I can book some time off work ;))

Pictures of swirls/bad bits :(..
DSC09308Large.jpg

DSC09310Large.jpg

DSC09311Large.jpg

DSC09313Large.jpg

DSC09316Large.jpg

Very nice looking car. Love the colour.

I originally wanted a Deep Purple or Ming Blue, but couldn't find one without those yucky cream or silver seats. Would have had that one.

Eventually gave up and got my silver one with black leather...

Cheers,

To be honest when you first posted the pix of this car i wasnt sure about it, but now you've cleaned it up, i have to say that colour is beautiful, its very simular to the new blood red ive seen on a few of the new TTs..

Really like it, major congrats, what plans do you have mods wise? Im sure now your on the forum you'll get plenty of ideas if you have little at the mo...

Great colour, rare as rocking horse I reckon!

A decent detailer will be able to correct 90% of that!! Looks in great shape for an xplater. Enjoy

Lovely deep colour - very classy..

Yeah that's a lovely colour. It's got a nice deep wet look to it. Not 100% sure it suits the S3 though..just seems more like the sort of colour you'd see on an A3.

She'll come up a treat with a good paint correction though :thumbsup:

That rich colour really brings out that executive feel of the car, and yet it's almost reserved.

To be fair I have a silver S3 which can look a bit normal (No offence meant lads), but it's cool to see different colour like yours and shy19's. :o.k:

very cool....same colour as my indian red golf..... surely a one off colour for the S3?!

Jimmeh - Did you ever find out the reason why the rear S3 badge is stuck on too low?

Jimmeh - Did you ever find out the reason why the rear S3 badge is stuck on too low?

He quotes it's never had a rear-ended shunt, it was HPi clear too. His guess was someone either nicked/debadged it, and a fresh, new badge was put on in the incorrect place.

Thanks for the kind words guys. As you say, it's a very unique colour, and I must admit, (from a distance) it's stunning..

MOD wise, keep standing for a few months. Maybe a remap later on in the year.. Who knows. My only concern at the minute is getting it up too scratch. Going home straight from work tonight to get the wheels off..

Can anyone suggest a colour for the calipers? (I was thinking Gold/Yellow?)

:)

Hibiscus red right? Same colour as my A4, looks fantastic when polished and waxed, unfortunatley looks like a nicely formed **** when dirty. Didnt know the S3 came in that colour, looks great, pain in the **** as you want to keep washing it all the time so it looks nice

'Hibiscus red' hey? You know, I don't know. In the log book it's just down as RED. Can I ask, where would I find the actual colour code!?

But no, you're right.. it's fantastic! I only cleansed and waxed yesterday, can't wait to get my hands on it properly.

I like it mate but I would suggest light tints and refurbing the alloys in gun metal grey:
6-1.jpg

Calipers would best in silver if you ask me...not keen on yellow or gold..

See my car on last page of pictures ection for an idea of 'silver hammerite paint effect' lol

Calipers a difficult choice, but i think you should change the standard avus wheels all together, people are right in what they are saying, very classy colour..
Id personally think about simular multispoke alloys that i saw on WillnagaroTT's car a little while ago, but i mean the multispoke TT alloys, always loved those wheels, and dont see them every day on a S3, possibly in satin black, or just silver. had to see them on, but i'd personally get colour coded wing mirrors too.

Congrats again.

Agreed i think the side mirrors dont look good against the body colour, may look better in the flesh though?

Very nice colour!

If you do replace the wheels and sell your standard ones, let me know as Im after a set

You know what, I think the mirrors set the car off a treat.. what with the xenon lights, shiny wheels, clear side repeater etc, I think it's all set off quite nicely.

I wish I'd of kept my RS6 rims to try on this, however, they're what sold my car really so :( Maybe one day (i'll let you know as and when, Grathies)

I retuned home from work tonight, had a bite too eat and have been udner the arches/in the inner wheels all night. Came up alright actually. The two fronts are quite badly pitted, probably due a refurb tbh.. but the arches look stunning. Next job is the interior and then the bodywork correction. THEN I need to decide what colour to do the calipers...

Getting there, slowly ;)

Looks lovely that Jimmeh mate, never seen an S3 in that colour before and i think it looks ace!

Will look spot-on after a good session of paint correction :icon_thumright:

Gotta be silver calipers, any other colour will look too garish against the subtle burgundy paint. Keep with silver wheels too, sets it off nice

Hi mate, im pretty sure the colour is Hibiscus red as well, it looks really nice, totally different to the usual colours of an S3, well done, looks impressive.....a good buy...

I think the chrome mirrors definately suit the car... as for the calipers... black or graphite grey... no bright colours like red or yellow. I went black myself with hammerite... worked a treat!

After a few days ownership, it's fair to say I really do like this car.

Okay, so I've put in over £100 of fuel already, but hell, that's why you buy the car; for the enjoyment. The DIS is averaging 22.4mpg since purchase.. but as you can imagine, my right foot is rather heavy at the minute. I almost had a nice comment for the two chaps at my local Shell garage as I topped it up on V-Power. It's good to have nice comments from strangers :)

I've found you really have to know how to drive the car.. I.e, pulling off in certain rev ranges etc. I've found from around 2.5k through to 5k is insane.. the torque is just, epix :) However, I find the car pretty much dies at the top end of the revs? IS this normal?

Looking forward to get my machine correction done, it will be a few weekeneds away yet though I'm affraid.

Just to confirm, I can safely the colour IS Hibiscus red. I got given a touch up with the car, upon the touch up states "Hibiscus" haha!

It's still a lurvely colour.. I've not washed her since Sunday, trekked many o' mile on backroads and she still looks well.

Not going to have much time to work on it this weekend, tomorrow/Saturday I'm working on a friends GTi-6 (monies money afterall...), and then Sunday I have a track session in a Gallardo. I don't want to have to drive there, as as soon as I get back in the Audi after the Lambo it's going to feel slooow! :( (and i'll be driving like i'm on track still.. *eeek!*)

Anywho, still very pleased. Whilst walking away/parking up, I HAVE to take a cheeky peek over my shoulder.. she's just wicked. :D

Yea was right!! LOL....I dont think i have seen Hibiscus on an S3 EVER!!! However have seen loads of B5 A4s in that colour and have a cousin who has an A3 in that colour..

Good stuff, keep it shining as they look really good when they are clean!!!