New here,help needed : Thinking of buying an import car

costa_k

Reaction score
Hi everyone!I finaly found an S3 that ticks all the right boxes,only thing is the car was not bought originaly from Audi UK but a company that imports cars for less than main dealer prices.It is a proper UK specification car,not the short of thing that happens with Japanese imports.Since it's 2001 car no waranty comes into question,it's a 2001 model (210 BHP) ,under 40k miles with full Audi service history,and looks,sounds and drives like a dream.Anything i should be worried about?The car costs £9000(private sale).Any advice is greatly appreciated,thanks!

Dont worry, there are lots of 2001-2003 VIrgin cars (remember them) that were all imports, usually through Belgium, Denmark or Gibraltar).

Just check where the pdi was done in the service bok to be sure, check the date of PDI was before the reg date, but not too long before (can be 6 weeks or so).
If you check the v5 log book, dont be surprised if it has "not known" for the engine number, this is quite common for parallel imports.
Other than that, so all the normal checks, HPI check and check all the documents with hpi (v5 seriel number) and check the vin on the car definately matches up.
If it is all above board, you should not be converned about an import, you can still get them a little cheaper, and often have nice spec like sunroofs!

If you think about it, they are all import really!! If it is a nice car, dont worry about which delaer supplied it.

Dont worry, there are lots of 2001-2003 VIrgin cars (remember them) that were all imports, usually through Belgium, Denmark or Gibraltar).

Just check where the pdi was done in the service bok to be sure, check the date of PDI was before the reg date, but not too long before (can be 6 weeks or so).
If you check the v5 log book, dont be surprised if it has "not known" for the engine number, this is quite common for parallel imports.
Other than that, so all the normal checks, HPI check and check all the documents with hpi (v5 seriel number) and check the vin on the car definately matches up.
If it is all above board, you should not be converned about an import, you can still get them a little cheaper, and often have nice spec like sunroofs!

If you think about it, they are all import really!! If it is a nice car, dont worry about which delaer supplied it.

Thank you for the quick reply!Will check everything asap,other than that you think the price is right (it does have a sunroof btw)?

Mines an import - When dealers have checked the car to part exchange they confirmed its an import and makes little difference to the price when the cars over 3 years old (to do with warranty). Why not purchase mine - 2002 S3 57k on clock and a few extra goodies (will save you a lot of money in the long run)

My 2000 plate S3 is a german import, had no probs with it at all...

From what I read the S3's were all built in the same factory weren't they? Either way I've had less problems with mine than some have with UK supplied cars!