Does the S3/A3 8L have a convenience unit in the footwell...

carlo

Reaction score
I am having problems with my alarm not arming. When I lock the doors with the remote, no flashing indicators, or flashing LED's and the horn doesn't sound if you leave the sunroof open and wave you arm inside to try and set it off, so definitley no alarm...

When it rains I also have a soggy passenger footwell carpet. This is all due to the plastic scuttle plate not fitting flush to the window as the clips had been broken (By an Audi service!) and the water running in through the pollen filter, through the heater onto the carpet... :-(

Just ordered a new scuttle plate (£33 - which is surprisingly cheap)

A few people have mentioned that this is a common problem with water running into the convenience unit, that under the passenger carpet would be getting soaked at the moment.

Also noticed that on the DIS it shows both the passenger and driver door open when just the passenger door is open. But when the driver door is open only the driver door is shown open on the DIS. As people mentioned the door lock micro switches being an issue, I have also replaced the passenger door lock and this didn't fix.

So the fault possibly points to water getting into the convenience unit... BUT... Just rang Audi to order a new convenience unit, and they have told me that I there isn't one in the 8L Audi S3 or A3 for that matter...

Is this right? If so what controlls the alarm on the 8L S3/A3.... PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE... don't say the ECU... :'-(

Carlo , how much did it cost you to do the door lock micro switch??

I have the the problem with this on my drivers door, only when the weathers hot though, if the car thinks the door is open the alarm will not work and arm it's self.

£63 + vat from Audi... Fitting it is fun though!... You have to take off the window frame (Inc glass), so you need a friend to help, and is a bit fiddly but took about an hour from start to finish...

Ah thats not to bad, I'm going on holiday next week I'll just leave it at the garage get them to do it, along with a few other bits!!

Have you checked if your bootlid is properly shut, I remember the indicators not flashing and arming when my boot was not properly shut with a clunk.

The central locking control is part of the motor which is located in the rear passenger side of the boot near the sub and light cluster. It also controls the alarm.

I can't say why the DIS is showing incorrect door openings.

Interestingly I have a rusted rear boot switch. which caused my alarm not to function. I removed the lock and freed the mech up. It's been fine ever since.

On mine the alarm lights dont flash if you leave a door/boot open.

If your DIS is showing a door is open, the alarm wont arm....

try degaussing it like I did when my dis went weird earlier this week!

remove both battery terminals, when both wires to car removed touch them together then positive lead to car touch on engine block.

Then leave battery disconnected for 2hours, return to car, turn ignition on and off a few times, then repeat degauss and reconnect.

Falttens all residual current in the various systems and is like a hard reset i suppose. It cured my problems!

The central locking control is part of the motor which is located in the rear passenger side of the boot near the sub and light cluster. It also controls the alarm.

I can't say why the DIS is showing incorrect door openings.

Interestingly I have a rusted rear boot switch. which caused my alarm not to function. I removed the lock and freed the mech up. It's been fine ever since.

Cheers for the info will check the motor out and have a look for any wiring problems...

Is the conveniance features, (interior light fade, closure of windows from key fob and cruise control) controlled by the main ECU or is it a seperate box somewhere hidden within the dash?... It is more elusive than the Scarlet Pimpernel...

try degaussing it like I did when my dis went weird earlier this week!

remove both battery terminals, when both wires to car removed touch them together then positive lead to car touch on engine block.

Then leave battery disconnected for 2hours, return to car, turn ignition on and off a few times, then repeat degauss and reconnect.

Falttens all residual current in the various systems and is like a hard reset i suppose. It cured my problems!

I tried the degausing technique to start with and it made no difference... Working in computers I hoped (And wished) a reboot of the ECU may solve it... :-(

Juat make sure you leave your abttery off for a long time, and always remove both temrinals too. At least 2 hours, 4 if you can.

I heard from an autoelectrician who found a wire fault on a mk4 golf and repaired it and still the fault code came up, depsite clearing it time and time again. After many weeks of revisits, he finally resorted to leaving the battery off overnight and loe and behold, next day it was fine!
I left mine off for near 2 hours and the radio code was not needed!

Anyway, hope you get it sorted!! I know how worrying it is!

The later stereos know which car they should be in, and if they are still in that car once power is restored they don't need the code, but if they have been removed from one car and put in another then you need to enter the code to prove its not been nicked.

The later stereos know which car they should be in, and if they are still in that car once power is restored they don't need the code, but if they have been removed from one car and put in another then you need to enter the code to prove its not been nicked.

Are you trying to say my car is old? :noway:

back to original question, iwas told there was one, but I am not so sure, I think the passats and a4s have them but the mk4 golf platform not. If it si there, it will be under a plastic cover in the flloor under the carpet where your feet would be if strecthed out!!

Cheers for that... I will have a look again... I was looking closer to the seat, so I may have missed where it when taking the carpet up...

Have tried removing the battery over night and that made no difference, and have also tried re-coding the keys as decribed in the manual, but to no avail...

Received the new plastic scuttle plate from Audi, but it had been used on another car (Had scratches over the plastic and rotten leave dust on the seals) and had the centre clip broken! So after moving all the windscreen washer pipes, connectors etc to the new one, had to move it all back as it didn't hold in place... Doh... Complained to Audi and they said that as it wasn't checked when it left their stores by them, they would take the hit and have ordered another so will try again next week...

Also, does anyone else have a plastic cover over their pollen filter to stop water dripping in if the scuttle seal fails? I noticed mine didn't have one, but i'm sure they should...

Cheers,
Carlo

No, the pollen filter is accessed through the little flap on pass side, but that is al there is.

The guy in post #6 above has the right idea. There are no control units under the seats under floor on the S3/A3 8L models.

Here's a pic showing the location of the control unit you need to examine/replace. But I personally think its microswitch issue. You can test them in VAG-COM i believe.

Cheers HTC...

Ordered a new door lock as they were only £51 from Audi so thought that it was worth a shot... Just in case the one I changed last time may have been a duffer...

Always wondered what that box was covered in foam... I thought it was something to do with the sub... I went hunting after you post and was expecting something different. I ended up looking the driver side, and noticed (What I know now to be) the fuel flap motor, and after much removal of foam and fluffy stuff realised it wasn't what I was looking for... Collecting the new lock on Friday morning, so will fit it in my lunch hour at work and then let you guys know how I get on... Fingers crossed it's the lock... Otherwise there will be a new lock on E-Bay friday night... :) If not will take the control unit out and give it the once over...

Thanks again for all your help... It has been bugging me for ages trying to work out where the alarm unit was located...

Thanks
Carlo