Chris NottJMB Retrofits
    1st Gear

Status

Big Turbo Alternative

Everyone knows about the 'Big turbo' upgrades? The upgrade that costs around Ł3500 ~ Ł4500 depending on who does it. In this kit there is a bigger turbo, different manifold and down pipe/s to suit the new turbo amoungst other parts. To bring the cost down dramatically could you not just have the origial K04 turned into a hybrid? This would save the forementioned parts whilst a larger compressor wheel would provide that all important boost above 5250rpm, where as some folks have pointed out, is as flat as a fart with the standard turbo under high boost conditions (chipped). I know larger injectors would still have to be used and a re-map would still have to be done, but surley this would be a much cheaper alternative? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif[/img]

Any thoughts would be much apprecaited. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status

Re: Big Turbo Alternative

there is a problem with the k04 turbine - the exhaust turbine is too small to drive a significantly larger compressor, and there are no plugin upgrades not involving the same manifold changes etc.

undoubtedly you will get some improvements by using a slightly larger compressor wheel, but you wont get the same effects as using a completely different turbo.

most of the other turbo makes have larger compressor wheels that can provide the compressing power without a massive hike in lag - the best of the lot is probably the ihi roller bearing turbos - there are a myriad variations that allow a good match between low rev spin-up, very low lag but fantastic boost.

these turbos are used in the subaru to provide similar 300-350bhp from a 2l form - they match the 1.8 very well.

the gt28r based turbos have potentially more boost but do tend to have more lag and come in higher up the revs range.

if you were replacing a bust k04, i would think about having a hybrid built, but if you want serious upgrade power then an ihi based conversion is the way to go.

1st Gear

Status

Hello? Is there anyone out there?

2nd Gear

Status

Only us Mice ...

1st Gear

Status

actually i want to give the IHI conversion a try... not TOO pricey compare to sportec

...Watching you!

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    cyuen said:
    actually i want to give the IHI conversion a try... not TOO pricey compare to sportec

[/ QUOTE ]

Same as me. Cos i have the old engine, most places dont do conversion for thi, so the cost of a big turbo upgrade would be Ł6k for a new engine, then the turbo upgrade on top of that. If i go with Jabba, i will get 300bhp for Ł2800. On top of that i would upgrade the clutch, intercooler, sports cat and i would also get racelogic to manage the power.... hopefully wont be long! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif[/img]

Rich

1st Gear

Status

hhm it seems AmD have dropped the 350hp/350lb kit at the moment, the only option is the pocket hurting, Sportec kit

5th Gear

Status

horrendous cost for those conversions, into the ŁŁ,ŁŁŁ territory and i was told that included sending the whole car to sportec abroad to do that kind of work...

1st Gear

Status

So it looks like there isn't any point in getting the standard turbo enlarged to retain more original parts = less cost?