189mph A3

thought i recognised it.

Nice car and what a tool!!

*Messed up post while editing lol. still half asleep*

What rpm you quattro guys running a certain speeds? Should be easy to work out.

Get me the gearbox and final drive codes and I can tell you the gear ratios.

Audi made massive 460 bhp, rev limit set at 7800 rpm

Boost comes on at around 4-4.5k and according to wayne just wants to rev!

Had it hitting limiter in top and doing 189 mph!!!

Boost comes in at 4-4.5k, mean very laggy, wouldn't be very driveable out on the road methinks, but I'm sure it will take off once the turbo spools up, the 189mph claim is a bit optimistic in my opinion though...

It might have a theoretical top speed of 189mph but as the A3 lacks any real aerodynamic properties I don't see it ever reaching that speed on the track, but if it did then it'd need a ****** long stretch of tarmac to manage it.

Does he mean it hit 189mph on the rollers?

he would have to have a massive 5th gear to get up there and with only 4 gears below there has to be a gap in there somewhere, must be a big rev drop between 4th and 5th.
Keith at Dialynx has/had an RS6 equipped A6 with the six speed box and it hits close to 200mph but it is 4.2 litres running twin turbos and more like 500bhp.

I'm sure I read on here that the shape of the A3 means you would be lucky to get 155 out of it ?

before you guys start ripping the claims apart totally, my A3 is doing 100mph at 4k in 5th, so in theory, with a 7800rpm limit, that equates to a theoretical top speed of 195.....

I'm not saying it will reach the limiter in top gear on any road, but it's not SO far fetched.

double the revs doesnt equate to double the speed mate.

before you guys start ripping the claims apart totally, my A3 is doing 100mph at 4k in 5th, so in theory, with a 7800rpm limit, that equates to a theoretical top speed of 195.....

I'm not saying it will reach the limiter in top gear on any road, but it's not SO far fetched.

That makes no logical sense. If you'd have gone from 0-100 in 5th gear then it might, but you had to go through 4 other gears to get to your 100mph.

We're not saying that it's not possible that the car did 189mph on a rolling road, but it's a whole different ball game out on the road where you have to take into account aerodynamics. There's a reason why supercars are shaped the way they are, and it's not just to look pretty.

Christ alive guys listen to what you are saying?

In theory, not allowing for losses along the way, double the revs does mean EXACTLY double the speed.

my car IS doing 4000rpm in 5th gear at 100mph, no matter how you get there. It's a mechanical fact, that will not change unless the clutch slips.

At a given speed, in any given gear, assuming no clutch slip, you will ALWAYS be doing the same revs.

if 30 in second is 3000rpm, then 60 in second HAS to be 6000rpm.

So, I will make my point again.

In top gear, my car is doing 4000rpm at 100mph.

In theory then, at 7800rpm, in top gear again, my car will be doing 195mph.

100/4 = 25mph/ 1000 rpm.

25 x 7.8 = 195.

It's incredibly simple maths guys, and requires only the most incredibly basic knowledge of mechanics too.

My mini for example, does just over 16mph per 1000rpm in 4th, and at 8000rpm in 4th, it would be doing 8x16 which is 128.....

I've hit 7600rpm in 4th, equating to 121mph, which showed up as 119 on the GPS.

Infact, go try it.

Tomorow morning, on your way to work, look at your speedo when you are doing 3000rpm in any gear, note the speed.

Then take it to 6000rpm, same gear, and I defy anyone to tell me the speed does not double.

Oh and I can quite easily disprove your theory on my way to work tomorrow matey. This is how it will go: Note speed at 3000rpm. Accellerate until engine is doing 6000rpm. Note speed again. Magically I'm doing the same speed at 6000 as I was at 3000. How the hell is that possible??! A slipping clutch :)

Ask me to do the test again on Wednesday when I have a new clutch fitted :thumbsup:

Yeah, sounds like something is amiss with your car. Assuming a non slipping clutch and no wind resistance, the ratio stays the same and it's linear.

My car was indicating 131.7mph at 6739rpm on JBS's rollers. So 131.7/6739 = 0.0195 mph per rpm. Thus 0.0195 x 7800 = 152.4mph at 7800rpm.

I don't know what the indicated speed on the dash would have been as I don't know how far it's out. I also don't know if my car would get anywhere near that on the road.

actually just to make it clear for you guys or this will go on for ever

engine speed is proportional to wheel speed BY overall gear ratio, 5th on audi box's is often around 2-4 ratio finally, 6th most certainly is

depending on 5th gear in his box that speed is possible, 460bhp that speed is achievable. a3 has enough aerodynamics to do that with enough power. It may take a long stretch but it can

Oh yeah, good point. I feel rather thick now. :blink:

Seems to be a common feeling in this thread :drool:

HTC - My clutch is on it's way out hence why my revs rise and speed doesn't. It's in the garage today having it replaced. Can't wait as I've not been able to drive the car to it's full potential since getting it remapped thanks to failing coil packs and then slipping clutch!

My car was indicating 131.7mph at 6739rpm on JBS's rollers. So 131.7/6739 = 0.0195 mph per rpm. Thus 0.0195 x 7800 = 152.4mph at 7800rpm.

That sounds about right anyway Kev, as my A3 hits an indicated 130mph at the redline in 4th.....