1.8 T Sport, Noisy Air-con ????

jiffi77

Reaction score
Hi, Just bought an A3 T Sport, and Air-con seems very noisey when switched on, not sure if it's the pump or if it could be a belt tensioner or something, are these prone to Air-con problems any help greatly appreciated.

Noisy in what way and from where?

Welcome to the boards by the way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Dude, BE AFRAID!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif OK, maybe not afraid, but still... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Open up the hood with the engine idling, then have someone inside hit the ECON button, if the sound disappears, and reappears with the ECON off, then take your car in to a mechanic. Trust me, it could just be that the coolant is low, which means that the compressor isn't being lubricated well enough. In that case, a purge and refill will square you away. BUT, and I'm speaking from experience here, if the compressor is the problem, it's better to get it fixed BEFORE it siezes up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif My compressor siezed while I was doing about 160kph on the autobahn, and by the time I got to the side of the road, the main belt and pretensioner were completely gone, and I was prolly minutes away from a fire under the hood /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif the belt was smoking REAL bad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif and it wound up costing me about €800 before VAT /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif to get it all fixed. (NOT to mention I had just gotten the belt and pretensioner replaced during a service about 3 weeks before /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif)

If this IS the problem, sorry to be the bearer of bad news /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Hope it helps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

When I turn on the compressor, the revs kick down and back up, it's a bit more jerky at low speeds (more revs needed due to drain caused by compressor), but no real increased noise that I can think of.
I'd also say get someone to have a listen to it.

It's only natural for the revs to drop when turning the compressor on, as the parasitic drag (That one's for you Daniel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif) is increased. With the ECON button on, the electromagnetic clutch on the AC Compressor pulley is disengaged, so all the engine spins is the pulley itself. However, when you turn the compressor on, the clutch engages, and the engine then has to turn the pulley, AND the Compressor internals as well. Now, if it's making noise, that means that somewhere there is a problem. Not necessarily a major problem, but one nonetheless.

(WOW, more than 2 big words in one post.... I think I need to go lay down /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
jiffi said:
Not sure how to explain the noise, but it dissapears as soon as I press the Econ button to switch off the Air-con.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well try..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It's essential to have an idea, is it a squealing, rattle, ticking, etc. etc. as you can imagine noises like people come in all shapes and sizes (Isn't that right Drill /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

If it's a squealing like a belt is loose then Drills' your man, as he's stated he's already had experience.

Listened to the noise last night, and it sounds like a possible bearing type of noise, rumbling type of noise !!