Boost Gauge in the S3..

s8n

Reaction score
Website
allkris.com
Has anyone seen how to's or know if its even possible to install a boost gauge in the pop down compartment of the Audi S3? That is, the compartment containing the cigarette lighter? I don't ever use the lighter functions and I don't want a gauge that is visable unless I want it to be..

Pod gauges and steering wheel gauges are ugly as !!

ideas?

Not enough room in here to install a standard 50mm pod guage, however if you can get small digital guages which may fit.

The down side is that it is hard enough to accurately read a pod guage in this location, far less a digital guage.

I used this location in my previous (pre-face lift) S3 before the drop down compartment was introduced to fit a boost guage and while it looked OK you needed to take your eyes of the road for a bit to read it properly.

Currently using a pod guage on the A-pillar, it may not be as pretty but it is quick and easy to read.

I know what you mean.........it is a nice mod, but the price is not.

You could buy the cup holder option for the centre arm rest and then do what I did as another option

nice idea mate, is that the early symphony head unit or the later?

its different to mine which is symphony with 6 disc front loader, i did not realsise there were so many. My first s3 had the concert with changer in the boot. I much prefer the ease of the front loader and the fact i don't need to get out to change discs.

its ashame they did not design twin subs which fit into each side of the S3, in the boot. Would sound much better.

Thanks Gambba,

There is a 1mm gap round the gauge when it is inserted into the cup holder space, similar to the ESP buttons etc to the right of it........my friends all think it looks factory fit.

The great thing is that it is completely reversible, when I want to sell the car.

It all cost about £60 (gauge, parts and delivery from Japan)

It has both red and green LED's in side it.

GREEN = normal use
RED = count down timer for the turbo timer part of it.

I have opened it up and have a look and discovered that there are 4 leds for the green and red side of things. They could be reversed so that the normal function is red and the countdown is green.

I just have not had the time and due to everything being very delicate inside, I am scared to brake it as the red leds are under the pins/legs that feed into the lcd screen. The green leds are fine.

Here is a picture of my AutoMeter boost gauge, mounted on the A-pillar

boost.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
s8n said:
Mike, I really like that idea however I use my cupholder /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I just wish there was a nice spot to fit a small gauge! or someone hurrys and finishes this DIS CAN bus version of the Boost gauge! I swear if that thing was cheap it would sell like hot cakes!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry for being dumb but what is the DIS CAN bus version mod? Where can i find out about it?

[ QUOTE ]
nervus said:
[ QUOTE ]
s8n said:
Mike, I really like that idea however I use my cupholder /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I just wish there was a nice spot to fit a small gauge! or someone hurrys and finishes this DIS CAN bus version of the Boost gauge! I swear if that thing was cheap it would sell like hot cakes!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry for being dumb but what is the DIS CAN bus version mod? Where can i find out about it?

[/ QUOTE ]

It uses the DIS display to show additional info (oil temp, boost and so on)

[ QUOTE ]
s8n said:

It uses the DIS display to show additional info (oil temp, boost and so on)

[/ QUOTE ]

Where can i buy it from?