Still Missfiring!!!!

Jay

Reaction score
I'm losing the will to live!!!

I've just spent £120 on a set of coil packs. £30 on plugs, £25 on a new DV, cleaned the TB, and a new MAF but its still missfiring.

What else could possibly cause this? Only thing left to change is the thermostat....but i dont see this being the cause.

Any ideas?

what year is the car mate - pre-2000 i would go straight for the Injector amplifier (it fires up the coilpacks individually). It is attached to the Airbox - £120 from Audi.

its more than likely to be down to something electrical, if theres no obvious mechanical signs ie burning oil/water. missfiring is usally ignition/fuel related so would be looking in those area's.

I would give good odds for injector amplifier....Vagcom would indicate multiple issues initially, and then a misfire on one (or more) cylinder after that...I think you can get the part cheaper from GSF also.

Clatch sounds right its also known as a ignition pack i think, i had the same prob last week it cost 106 GBP and its easy to change

I would give good odds for injector amplifier....Vagcom would indicate multiple issues initially, and then a misfire on one (or more) cylinder after that...I think you can get the part cheaper from GSF also.

The coil packs have stopped it from misfiring like it used to. Now its just a gentle splutter first thing in the morning. I've had the new packs in for about 2 weeks and its done it 2 or 3 times on a cold start this is why I was thinking it maybe the thermostat.

Scary thing is Vagcom shows exactly what you've mentioned above aswell.
I've had the 17705 - Pressure Drop between Turbo and Throttle Valve come up again. Could this be the culprit? I've tightened every clip I can see!

This ignition pack you guys mention is gonna have to be after the thermostat. Got insurance and road tax coming next month all this money could be going towards that!!!!!:banghead:

I hear ya mate, but if it is the amplifier you really don't want to be driving around spluttering oil into the cat. Sadly, there is no certainty with this sort of stuff but it may be worth looking around for the part at GSF...I heard you can pick them up for £70 odds...If it helps my amplifier just went flat without warning, hopefully it may be just a clogged fuel filter/bad pump or something...I hope you can get it sorted mate

This turbo & throttle valve issue wouldnt be related to N75 would it, also have you ever done any throttle body alignments as yet, take it of & give that a good clean aswell mate as that can get clogged open even by a millimetre around the edge or 2 & cause troubles, once cleaned so when its shut it is completely shut, then do the alignment, just things to through into the arena & valid ones I believe, no????

Cleaning is easy aswell as just pop of at front, some pipes & bolts/wires, has a gasket which can be re-used just be careful.

i had a similar problem it couldnt hold boost & the exhasut popped & missfired. Turned out to be the boost pressure sensor

Have a look at ALL the hoses as some are breather hoses that may have split; i've had to change two recently as they have worn down; I think it was themanthatcan that found one underneath the manifold where one had split; the pipe cost range from 30 to 100 depending on which one. I got the 17705 error and the new hoses look to have cured the issue; one final one is the N249 (on top of the block) that may require a change about 80 quid for a new one I think S3Steve did this to cure his 17705 issue. Don't worry you are getting closer...

i had a similar problem it couldnt hold boost & the exhasut popped & missfired. Turned out to be the boost pressure sensor

Mattyboy, I'm having this very problem just now - what is the boost pressure sensor?
Ta

Hi
Is the misfire at idle or under load? You say you changed the plugs which ones did you get, laser-Platinum are what you need, if you don’t have these and you are getting misfire issues under boost this is the first thing to look at. Have you had a diagnostic check done this will show up misfire issue in most cases even under load. If you are in our aria we are offering free diagnostic checks at the moment. Get in touch if this is of any help.
Regards
Jon
VAGtech
01525 279513
www.vagtech.co.uk