EM TuningBadger5
    2nd Gear

Status

Haunted by a Scooby

Coming out of southend on sunday night i came up beside a scooby, anyway i could hear his subs booming out and his exhaust gurgling and thought right, i've had mine chipped when we hit the 70 mph limit i'll give it some, and see how it performs. we hit the 70 mph and he was in front, i heard him drop it down a gear and nail it so i followed, sat all over him and nearly came from behind and on the inside of him..... i was thinking she's certainly alot faster than before and i can't believe i nearly over took him. I then slowed down and turned off for my junction, he was still infront and waiting for the lights, i thought ok here we go again and pulled away slowly to see what he did, the i heard hiom floor it and i did the same too, this time he was gaining on me and actually got beside me when i had to slow down for a car on the inside lane.

Thats the story, he nodded at the next roundabout and we went our separate ways.

Out of curiosity was he modded up or what? I know they are lighter but he had a sound system so extra weight there, it was the earlier model but i dont think it was the STI.

Also i don't want to start another thread where i get told off speeding, i'm old enough to know when to put my foot down.

Cheers guys

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status

Re: Haunted by a Scooby

lol, see...there much better when chipped [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

dbm
    3rd Gear

Status

I had a T-reg Imprezza 2000 Turbo before I got my S3. The car is lighter, and more powerful than a standard S3. Although Subaru only claimed 218bhp for my model-year, several totally standard cars were RR'd at 240bhp - the same as the Japanese model. So they have a lot more power than people realise.

I've got a modified S3 now, with chip, exhaust and sports cat. I reckon the car is as fast as a WRX now, though still no where near an STi.

The other thing to bear in mind is that the Scoobi has a superior AWD system to that used by the S3. In my Scoob I could raise the revs to 3500, drop the clutch and it was away without any wheel spin - and there wasn't any traction control. I can't do that in my S3 without wheel spin.

But hey - the S3 knocks the Scoobi for 6 when it comes to quality and luxury. So feel good about that [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Dan

Status

If you are not spinning tyres it's simply that you don't have enough torque.

Up to about 300 - 305 lb-ft it's nearly impossible to spin up all 4 tyres on a nice dry day.
    Most chipped S3s have a perfect torque figure and delivery to give a perfect grip to torque relationship and not waste power spinning tyres.

By the time you're putting down 330 lb-ft I can assure you that it'll spin up all 4 relatively easy...as long as you can keep the clutch cool enough not to slip!
    Anyone witnessing my abysmal 3rd run at GTI International last year will have seen mine slew sidewards with all 4 tyres spinning.

As a side note...
    It's easier to spin with standard suspension...with decent uprated stuff on, the weight transfers less, confusing the Haldex less, and *normally* giving a smoother take off....at least that's what I've found.

5th Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ess_Three said:
    Anyone witnessing my abysmal 3rd run at GTI International last year will have seen mine slew sidewards with all 4 tyres spinning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh that run [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

2nd Gear

Status

after my chip, my car was estimated on the dyno at 272lb-ft so that's why i have no chance of spinning. I noticed that Dicky S3 after the chip produced 302 lb-ft which is truly amazing!

5th Gear

Status

posted this a while back.....
    ummmm,interesting post,i think on b-roads(back roads) the scooby may have the advantage due to better handling(according to mags).But in the real world wide b's /a's /m's the s3 has the distinct advantage,quotes from autocar mag 210s3 vs new shape scooby(oct 2000).
    GOOD BITS

"So it's hardly surprising that on the road and against the clock the WRX struggles to match either the old Turbo or the S3 when it comes to acceleration. Though it still gets to 60mph quicker than the Audi courtesy of its quite ludicrous ability to get off the line so well (5.7sec vs 6.4sec), once rolling it is no match for the S3, which simply feels faster and more responsive whenever you put your foot down."
    "The real killer for the WRX is the Audi's massively greater flexibility at low and medium revs. Imagine trundling along at 40mph in fourth gear and then putting your foot down: in the Audi you take off almost immediately, in the WRX you have to first change down a gear simply to save yourself the embarrassment of watching the Audi scream into the distance. And even once you've done that, the S3 continues to edge away. Look at the 50-70mph times in top gear if you want further proof. The S3 is a full two seconds quicker and that's in sixth gear, not fifth like the five-speed Impreza. In the real world that's a crushing advantage. "

BAD BITS
    The S3 makes a much better fist of opposing the Impreza up to a point, but even it has no answers for the WRX
    ultimately. Its hard suspension and accurate steering allow you to try harder for longer to stay in touch with whoever is driving the Subaru. But in the end it just doesn't have the talent to glide over the ground seemingly oblivious to obstacles in the way the Impreza does.

How good is the WRX's handling, ride and steering relative to that other great, the Evo VI? For ride composure
    there's no contest; it eats the Mitsubishi alive. And although its steering isn't as incisive during initial turn-in, there's at least as much feel once you're committed to corners. What's more, Subaru has engineered out much of the inherent understeer that was present in the old car. You can even balance it against the brakes on the way into bends to make it oversteer slightly if you're that way inclined. It's hard to describe how well sorted a chassis must be to allow that sort of driving on the public road. And just to rub it in, the WRX also has the most perfectly weighted brakes. They make those of the German cars seem clumsy and underpowered.

So it's one bad car, one very good one and one potentially brilliant one. The Golf is so wide of the mark it doesn't deserve to be among such esteemed company, while the S3 puts up such a complete performance elsewhere
    that it very nearly gets away with its wooden handling. It's so desirable in so many ways you could quite easily think it unbeatable for the money.

food for thought lads......

1st Gear

Status

Raced a scooby the other day, standard WRX was neck and neck, he did me on take off and then i caught up woz half car moving ahead and then we both slowed due to traffic and then shot off on the clear, thats when i got ahead and did him till the end of the road... Hopefully should [censored] on them after the REMAP... On the 4th May

Oh and raced a Civic VTEC modded, VTEC Timer, HKS exhaust, Induction Kit etc. at the Brum Trax. Woz 3-4 car lengths ahead which made me feel good as it woz the same f**ker that use 2 do me in my A3

WHO ELSE IS AROUND THE MIDLANDS??

S3 Drift King!

Status

Revdup,

I'm in Solihull, where abouts in West mids are you?

Joe

1st Gear

Status

im in b'ham, near the city centre.

Its just i see a few S3 around but every1's a lil stuck up. I flash em and the one off driver flashes back and sometime i can tell there about to and by the time they do i gone past.

Anyway not that it upsets me, u go out much round b'ham?

S3 Drift King!

Status

I've seen a couple of yellow S3's in the Kingheath/Moseley area... is one of them you?

Joe

1st Gear

Status

Yeah Joe couldda been me, i do go round that side alot, mines a Y plater. Facelift.

just flash me nx time n if its me i'll stop ya!!

Reverse Gear

Status

im in bham too. in handsworth, i got a 1.8t and my mate jus bought a 52 plate s3 yesterday..its [censored] fast!