Lack of power when accelerating

shelley

Reaction score
I have a 1997 A3 and have recently been experiencing problems when accelerating.
When I first start the car and try to pull a away there is a severe lack of power. It almost feels like I am trying to pull away in 4th gear!! It doesn't stall, the revs increase but the speed doesn't. Once I have been driving for a while everything is fine and it pulls away at junctions etc as it should. I thought it was something to do with the engine being cold but some days it is fine and others i get the problem. On warmer days it isn't happening but on colder or wet days it seems to occur. Has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas what might be happening?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

What engine do you have?

So engine rpm increases but you go no faster....well if this is a turbo engine then I'm thinking it may be the wastgate on the turbo, as this would give similar symptoms especially if it's a solenoid problem which is failing due to moisture.

Well the classic symptoms of revs increasing and road speed not increasing at the same rate might mean a slipping clutch.

Perhaps the clutch is on its last legs?