JMB RetrofitsSky Insurance
    Stage2'd!!!!!!

Status

A pillar gauges finished

well i have been trying to source some gauges that suit the s3 instruments and the only ones i could find were omori gauges but they dont do the oil pressure gauge in the correct colours and the boost one they only do in 45mm, so the hunt went on then i come across stack gauges that completely light white with LED's so i brought the cheaper one the boost gauge and stripped it bare then painted the back of the dial red so as when i put it back to gether the needle would still light white but numbers light red as per s3,

once the gauges were done was time to do the A pillar holder, i was originally going to trim it with headlining trim to match like standard, so i brought the trim and tried to trim the pillar but it didnt work very well and the gauges didnt look right in the grey fabric, so i had to decide how was best to do it so i thought piano black like the centre console, i started off with the pop holder

i then stuck it in place with duck tape to keep it where i wanted it,

then out came the fibere glass to bond it together (some of the photos show the top fibre glassed as this was the original pillar for the trimmed finish)

then was ready to use easy sand to get a good smoth finish

sanded it down till i was happy with the smooth finish

next was to primer it and paint it and to fit the gauges in to the car, once thatwas all done i had to fit the pillar pod into the car, job complete im well chuffed with the results lokks like was fitted as an optional extra and even had people ask if they are standar which is exactly what i was after, judge for yourselfs

2. # ADS
    ADS

Monkey Trainer

Status
    Great job, they look excellent!
    A3 1.8TQS: Supersport Springs and Shocks, Xenons, BMC Filter, 18" OEM TTV6's, Bailey DV, N75J and Phase 1 Custom Code.

1st Gear

Status
    yer .great job.
    thats a one off .

Oil running through my veins.

Status
    Looks really smart.. i think i would have gone for the satin black tho, just so its not too in your face. But does look good dont get wrong.
    Totally addicted to boost.

thats me

Status
    good work just looks a little big for the subtle looks of the S3.

nice work though
    red to red black to black blue to bits

3rd Gear

Status
    For a minute there I though you were going to cut it into the A pillar..now that would have looked good! It looks nice in piano black but also think it looks a bit too "in your face", ie it sticks out too far.
    2001 S3 AMK in black - Ambient lighting kit and Aero wipers.
    Is it wrong to love your car more than your girlfriend? - When you no longer have a girlfriend it's fine!

Stage2'd!!!!!!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by themanthatcan View Post
    For a minute there I though you were going to cut it into the A pillar..now that would have looked good! It looks nice in piano black but also think it looks a bit too "in your face", ie it sticks out too far.
    it looks like that in the picture but its not to bad when in the drivers seat, yeah cutting it into theb pillar would have been cool

6th Gear

Status
    I am goignt o have a go making a pod that fits on the dash to the left of the binnacle, angled to the driver. Sort of offered it up the other day and it looked a good place.
    I will do it in "red dog" like that, so it is seperate, but am looking at the matt black "crinkle" finishe paint (a la MGB GT!) so it sort of matched the dash grain. Otherwise, I will do it in Black nappa leather!.

A pillar pod looks nice, but everyone putt them there!! LOL

3rd Gear

Status
    Has anyone ever tried or considered putting a couple in the center vent's?! you could just switch them to closed, then putt a couple in a bit plastic or something then paint it up piano black

just an idea you'll still have the side vents!

Stage2'd!!!!!!

Status
    think you wouldnt benefit from them there as there not in sight of view when driving, only my thoughts as i was considering the o pod,(think thats what there called) they go under the ash tray but be pointless as you couldnt see them there when driving

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3_kev View Post
    think you wouldnt benefit from them there as there not in sight of view when driving, only my thoughts as i was considering the o pod,(think thats what there called) they go under the ash tray but be pointless as you couldnt see them there when driving
    Not in sight of view??? Have you got tunnel vision then!

HTC
    6th Gear

Status
    A3's have a pretty awkward dash when it comes to additions. I don't mind one A pillar pod, but 2 or 3 gets a little intrusive IMO. However, bloody good word there.

I like the idea of a car computer in the dash for all sorts of sensors including audio, but I can't be bothered to go through all that lot and expense. I'm still trying to work out where to mount my sat nav.

I saw a european (Swedish I think) S3 on here ages ago that had the gauges built into the sterring cowling diagonally of to the sides. You could still see the dash and looked very factory.

Status
    Has anyone ever tried or considered putting a couple in the center vent's?! you could just switch them to closed, then putt a couple in a bit plastic or something then paint it up piano black

just an idea you'll still have the side vents!
    It would be really easy to reroute the matrix or just close it all off together, so all the pressure goes the to side vents, Im thinking about this as the side vents are quite useful. Where as the my centre vents are partcially blocked by the Flip out Dvd. Gunna give this one a go!

Status
    I'm still trying to work out where to mount my sat nav.
    Seen as your quite handy.. why dont you cut a hole out of the section between the dials and the center vents?
    The dash comes off real easy, fiber glass and a plastic case or something to hold it in, you could route the wires through the dash down to a live ignition feed off the stereo or cig lighter. make it look built it so people wouldnt realise that it can be removed..? just an idea.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Shy19s View Post
    Seen as your quite handy.. why dont you cut a hole out of the section between the dials and the center vents?
    The dash comes off real easy, fiber glass and a plastic case or something to hold it in, you could route the wires through the dash down to a live ignition feed off the stereo or cig lighter. make it look built it so people wouldnt realise that it can be removed..? just an idea.

How about here in the top right?

Jester
    "On my second S3 and loving it. RS3 here I come!!!"

3rd Gear

Status
    Why not just retro fit the RNS-E, or is that a crap sat nav?? I must admit i do like the look of the S3 8P sat nav, i would even consider the 8L sat nav, but i don't get out much so don't really need one!!

HTC
    6th Gear

Status
    jesters3, I've been thinking about cutting into the sun visor. I never use the mirror there. I used to work with car audi and have done a few stealth head unit facias on ribbon cable there.

Why not just retro fit the RNS-E
    I did look into that option but my car is too early to fit it. I don't have the can-bus electronics required.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by HTC
    jesters3, I've been thinking about cutting into the sun visor. I never use the mirror there. I used to work with car audi and have done a few stealth head unit facias on ribbon cable there.

Problem i found was finding a device that would fit in that corner, the slimmest I found was the Snooper Strabo at 20mm all others were 28mm or more meaning it would really jut out; ideally I wanted the S6R with Laser but it would not sit or fit right. I made the bracket to connect to the sunvisor from some metal I had left over, the only problem was the need to reuse the bracket that came with the Strabo. I had to take off the suction mount element and then fix it to the back - this meant an extra 20mm was added which was a little annoying. Other than that I'm happy with it as the visor isn't impeded and removal when parking is very easy plus from the outside you don't really notice it.

I ran the cables up the A-Pillar so they are poking out at the top but you couldm easily run them around where you wanted it to go - other place I thought was between the rear view mirror and ceiling. You couldm stick it in the sun visro - but the only trouble is the thickness of the unit you are going to use and where the power input is situated.

Oh and S3 Kev - nice work. For me I think the cloth may be better than the piano black but fair play for doing it as it is different and gives all a good idea of what to expect if they wanted the same or similar.
    Last edited by jesters3; 23rd May 2008 at 13:41.
    Jester

Status
    I like the sun visor idea. would be easy to route the cables too.

Stage2'd!!!!!!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Budgy Smuggler View Post
    Not in sight of view??? Have you got tunnel vision then!
    no but i tend to look at the road when im driving not the centre of my dash

Stage2'd!!!!!!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jesters3 View Post

Oh and S3 Kev - nice work. For me I think the cloth may be better than the piano black but fair play for doing it as it is different and gives all a good idea of what to expect if they wanted the same or similar.
    i didnt personally like it in the headlining trim as its not very easy to mould onto the pod, also my trim is the grey one and the black face of the dial did'nt look right but the piano black is much more fitting with the interiour

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3_kev View Post
    i didnt personally like it in the headlining trim as its not very easy to mould onto the pod, also my trim is the grey one and the black face of the dial did'nt look right but the piano black is much more fitting with the interiour
    Fair point, nice darts!
    Jester

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Kev, got my stack boost gauge today.... when you took it apart, did you have to bugger about with the bezel much to remove it as it looks crimped over the lip of the grey case.

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Audi-sports own special child.

Status
    Where did you end up buying it from tuffty?

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Status
    Thought so, cheers mate.

1st Gear

Status
    Looks great, awesome job

1st Gear

Status
    Quick question kev how the hell do ya get the needle off to be able to get the face off?

Thanks matt
    BRING ON THE WET WEATHER ​QUATTRO FTW

Status
    Just pull it off mate.
    Driving the most secretive S3 on ASN

1st Gear

Status
    Sorted!! cheers dani mate, i tried to pull it but it felt a bit stiff and i didnt fancy bending or breaking anything. :-D

Status
    If in vain always pull i harder mate haha. Still guna meet sunday?
    Driving the most secretive S3 on ASN

1st Gear

Status
    Yes buddy im still going im just waiting to hear a definate off of ben!