Anyone know what this is under my Recaro Seat?

Wicked666

Reaction score
Website
www.talkaudio.co.uk
Hi Guys

My passenger side seat is not rising. I'm pretty sure it's a switch problem and was messing around under it earlier today. I know I may have to dismantle whole seat to get to the switches but found this underneath.

album_photo.html
5421558862229e7c9709ffb3918f1d4b4c1be24865237872ec3c6cb38acbb9637a61c252.jpg

It says HARTMANN on the side and 25600 on top.

It's a switch of some sort and not sure if it's to do with rising problem? Lumbar and tilt work so don't know if this coming loose has caused problem or if this is something else (possibly something to do with the heaters that I haven't connected up)

When I push the switch in my hand, nothing happens.

Cheers

Yep,

It's the limit switch for the seat rise mechanism. You will need to take the seat out and remove the plastic side panel with the switches on to glue it back on.

I'm guessing if the rise switch is not working any more, that the seat has gone past it's limit and jammed either fully up or down, because this switch has fallen off.

I have a copy of the Audi interior manual which IIRC shows where the switches are located. It's a fairly easy job to dismantle that section.

PM me with your email, and I'll send it to you.

Cheers,

AliJames,

I've got the same problem with my seats. Not sure if it's the switches though and nothing has come off.

Would if be possible for you to send me the interior manual?

I'll PM you my email.

Thanks.

Yep,

It's the limit switch for the seat rise mechanism. You will need to take the seat out and remove the plastic side panel with the switches on to glue it back on.

I'm guessing if the rise switch is not working any more, that the seat has gone past it's limit and jammed either fully up or down, because this switch has fallen off.

I have a copy of the Audi interior manual which IIRC shows where the switches are located. It's a fairly easy job to dismantle that section.

PM me with your email, and I'll send it to you.

Cheers,

That is so helpful. Thank you. PM Sent.

(I'll have to work out how to remove the seats even though it's all the way at the bottom! I'm sure it's the same way!)

There are 2 microswitches like that if I remember rightly from when I had to fix my seats that stupid guild-fecking-ford audi broke, fecking idiots, fix my own seats with there tools, how much worse can it get, anyway, 1 for stopping when lowered & vice versa when going up, just do as mentioned by others, take of the side plastic trim, it can be a bitch to do & make sure you disconnect the power incase it does go down by self as you never know, fingers cant really be replaced huh, seats can.

I would suggest you remove the seat at 1st to take apart & assess where it goes as would need turning upside down, would need patients aswell, I think I used some superglue & epoxy rapid, left over night then tested in car, then screwed back together, easy-ish just time consuming, but didnt have problem since I did fix which was what 4 years ago.

First I suggest you raise the seat a bit cause you need to fit the microswitch back in place when its taken out of car & the switch location may be covered at the moment by the metal bars as its to low, mine was so I learnt the hard way, it wont unwind or come of the thread as I think it cant due to the metal work & design from what I remember, but it should go back up, try holding the switch in & pressing the power buttons on seats up/down

Ok from recollection, you can easily remove the seats even if its at the bottom, slide seat back as far as can 1st, then at front of seats undo the 2 bolts, lift seat at front not to high just gently & unplug the cables & at the rear there are 2 trims 1 left 1 right over the ends of the rails, these trims are the worst part to be honest, the centre console trim usually breaks anyway & usually require replacing due to crappy design of fitting, but cheap as chips compared to new seat, lol, door side trim has a screw that you take out & slide trim out of the seatbelt bottom bar I think, slide seat forward as far as can go with handle at front as if you were sitting in seat, let go of handle then slide whole seat including the base along the rails & out careful not to break the plastic wheels on the base, bit tricky but you'll figure easily, easy honest.

Did I remember this right people?

I've got exactly the same switch loose on my passenger seat. Alijames, I'll pm you my email address in a mo if you could send over the interior manual that would be great thanks :thumbsup:

Ok Folks. The Manual is actually WAY too big to email.

The site I found it on (Sorry to the guy whose it is!!) is

http://audi.lanzz.org/

In the "A3_interior.pdf" Manual, there is a whole section on the recaros, and 72-180 & 181 shows the position of the switches.

One of mine came off when I stripped the seat down to repair the backrest lifter, and I just glued it back on, as the locater pegs had snapped off.

Cheers,

Yeah same issue on mine, peg had snapped of, but check my previous posts above as does have little bit of info for you to use to remove seats etc, I dont think you will need the manual to be honest as its kinda obvious when you look where the switches sit, its just the metal bars that go up/down with the thread movement that push on the switch which cuts the power

THanks so much guys. Really helpful.

Did try pushing switch and using buttons but think switch may be damaged as seats not raising. Will take seat out and, using instructions, start dismantling.

If resolved, then it'll be one less problem bugging me!

Thanks again

Well there are 2 switches so I think maybe the other one is also damaged mate or stuck on etc as they do same job just 1 up other down.

Have you got a meter you can test the wires on that loose switch as should be a closed circuit as it is in your hand to allow power to the seat & then the circuit should open to cut of power when the microswitch is depressed when the seat is at the max up/down level.

So there should be some voltage on the switch that has broken of at least unless it is relay switched & reversed polarity circuit which I doubt as I dont remember seeing a relay underneath, dont quote me on that.

If there is voltage on the wires then maybe check the 2nd one aswell mate, tell me this, when you press the seat up or down button, does the seat motor at the front underneath make a noise at all, should do if power, if not then check the seat fuses aswell.

On a seperate note, Eagle, the wheels look mint on your car!!!

With some help from the posts above I got my seat out nice and easy, but snapped the bolts at the front. That was easy fix thought got them from Audi 35p each.

Now that I've got my seat back in and it's all working again I have the airbag light on my dash. I thought this would have gone out when I plugged the seat back in.

Anyone have any ideas how to get the light off? Will I need a trip to Audi?

Cheers

You need to find someone with VAG-Com or another ODB-II diags machine so they can clear the DTCs for you. As a last resort you could get Audi to do it but they'll probably want to do a full diags and charge you a big wodge of cash!

I've finally got round to fixing the broken clip but can't work out where it's meant to go.

There are 2 lugs that are broken under the switch however I can't find where this is meant to be plugged into.

Was wondering if anyone can help?

82128012bf638d500ca6695eefbe85563f30e3591e39dca02f84339eaee2fc54c53ff0d8.jpg

27240093d83dc03a5a0d45f00185407a87088837cf11dde51ed9303c8bfdc3d555f856fe.jpg

album_photo.html
album_photo.html