Great instructions for how to log using Vag-Com

cheers Andy, theres a lot to read but looks very interesting..........

Tim

Good find have a gold star!! I was after that sort of info. As I started to do mine:

Log Blocks 015 & 016 - To check for bad coils
Log Block 115 - To see the specified Vs actual boost.
Log Block 002 - To show air mass from the sensor
Log Block 032 - To check for a O2 sensor/Throttle Valve (+ =lean & - = rich)
Log Block 031 - To show lamda reading from O2 Sensor
Log Block 011 - To log boost pressure (In Excel graph actual/requested boost -vs- rpm )
In a high gear (4th/5th) give full throttle from 1500-2000 rpm to 3500-4000 rpm

But you just saved me from trawling all over the place!

so how exactly would you do this boost check, look at blocks 011 and boot the car at the stated rev range, then stop and produce the graph? or does vag com log a certain test time range....can you explain what you have done step by step to get the actual boost vs the requested boost:icon_thumright:

so how exactly would you do this boost check, look at blocks 011 and boot the car at the stated rev range, then stop and produce the graph? or does vag com log a certain test time range....can you explain what you have done step by step to get the actual boost vs the requested boost:icon_thumright:

The doc I posted shows you how to do everything matey, including producing the graph in Excel. If you don't have Excel then you can download the OpenOffice suite (http://www.openoffice.org/ - It's free and does everything MS Office does!) and use the Calc application which is their equivalent of Excel.

Block 115 is the one which logs RPM, Requested (Command) boost and Actual boost. You click Start, do your run (3rd gear, 2k RPM to redline) then click stop. That dumps the data into a CSV file which you open with Excel and use to create a graph.

im sure it is, need to check but have played with the blocks before on shareware

hmmm, just checked, im running the 3 series edition as the other freewares wont work on my Vista..... and its measuring some things but wont touch blocks 115 without purchase

I've got version 409-1 shareware running fine on Vista. To run the software properly you have to right-click on the Vag-Com icon and choose the "Run as Administrator" option. I had problems with Vag-Com locking up if I didn't do that.

Vag.com is $99 and at the present exchange rate £50. Seriously though invest it in then you can measure to your hearts content plus it is a invaluable tool. TBH it's the best £50 I've spent on my S3. :icon_thumright:

cheers Jest

Andy..... i loaded up the 409 version last night, this allowed me to do the auto search option for faults which the other version didnt...still wouldnt allow blocks 115 though:eek:/...gonna wipe it off tonight and try again me thinks

Vag.com is $99 and at the present exchange rate £50. Seriously though invest it in then you can measure to your hearts content plus it is a invaluable tool. TBH it's the best £50 I've spent on my S3. :icon_thumright:

Don't you also have to purchase a new interface with the latest version of Vag-Com though? I thought the £10 cables off eBay (which most of us have got) only worked with version 409-1 and older?

Right click the icon, you may need to hold down the left shift key at the sme time

Don't you also have to purchase a new interface with the latest version of Vag-Com though? I thought the £10 cables off eBay (which most of us have got) only worked with version 409-1 and older?

I've got a USB Gendan cable with 409.1 on XP Pro. When buying it I had to give them the serial number of the trial copy which they then converted to a full version. But yes I would agree that to run the new version you would require one of their specific cables.

Right click the icon, you may need to hold down the left shift key at the sme time

nope when holding shift, still only get option like restore and 'about vagcom' and 'exit'....this is on the main screen where you can select auto scan etc