I'm going to cry.

Id

Reaction score
I bought a 2001 Audi S3 2 days ago.

Today, went for a drive at lunch and opened up the sunroof. Has gotten confused, the close end of the dial does not work, the tilt section opens and closes, but only to half way.

I finally get the car I've been looking for for 5 months and it does this to me.

Any suggestions? About to take it home and manually crank it then cry myself to sleep.

Have you tried the keyfob? My old a3 had a sunroof and holding down the keyfob lock button (for about 30secs) would cause the windows and sunroof to shut. Keep it held down till they're completely shut though.
The dial also got confused every now and then and took some fiddling to shut.

Have you tried the keyfob? My old a3 had a sunroof and holding down the keyfob lock button (for about 30secs) would cause the windows and sunroof to shut. Keep it held down till they're completely shut though.
The dial also got confused every now and then and took some fiddling to shut.

Nope. Didn't work

Edit. Purchased from a dealer with 3 months warranty on it. Just called them up. Apparently because my car had stonechips and some poor quality paint on it (trade in) which they knew about, we should just call it even.

Yes. i am annoyed. Very annoyed.

Manually close the roof, set the switch to closed. Then try disconnecting the battery for a little while. I wonder if the comfort system has become a little confused. Make sure you have the security code for your radio.

Manually close the roof, set the switch to closed. Then try disconnecting the battery for a little while. I wonder if the comfort system has become a little confused. Make sure you have the security code for your radio.

Sorry, bit new to all this, came from a simple e36 318is

Where abouts would I find the security code for the radio (Concert series if that helps)?

The sunroof still works, in that the motor works. It just feels a bit confused. The switches are all doing different things then what they are supposed to.

Have a look through your documentation that came with the car. It will be a four digit code. If you don't have it you can get it from an Audi dealership.

As mentioned, removing the power may un-confuse the system. No guarantee.

Nope. Didn't work

Edit. Purchased from a dealer with 3 months warranty on it. Just called them up. Apparently because my car had stonechips and some poor quality paint on it (trade in) which they knew about, we should just call it even.

Did they see your trade-in before doing the deal? If so then they have no right to complain about the condition of it!

my a3 used to get these problem from time to time.
would'nt react would just stay open.would keep
moving the dial but no joy but would come back
few hours later , a right pain in the ****.

Did they see your trade-in before doing the deal? If so then they have no right to complain about the condition of it!

Yep. But they just gave it a once over.

It's a 95 318is with around 150,000miles on the clock.

What they hell where they expecting?

On the other hand I purchased a low km car with 1 owner. Passed all inspection, this has just come up today.

Nope. Didn't work

Hold the ******' phone... you traded a car in with them, which they accepted as part exchange on a car they sold you (the s3) and now they have to honour the warranty they're telling you your part exchange car isn't up to scratch? Care to name and shame?

Was the car locked when you tried the keyfob? If so try unlocking it first.

Yeah they can't do that, it's illegal among other things! Name and Shame

Get down to the dealers and ask to speak to the service manager!

You trade in a car which they inspected and paid the balance on the S3 with 3 month warrenty you expected everything to be in working order the sun roof isn't which was already broken before you picked the car up!

You want the sun roof fixing at no cost simple or kick up a fuss in the dealers!

p

You paid extra for a car from a dealer and part of that extra cost is the warranty that comes with it.
Does this 'dealer' have a website?

Yeah 3 months warranty means 3 months warranty - tell them it needs fixing or you'll be contacting Audi UK.

As above - that is BS of the highest order.

He hasnt said if he bought it from an Audi main dealer anyway he just said 'dealer'

He's in Australia guys!! .........
Still, he may as well call audi UK, he will get as good a result as the rest of us do! ! LOL

He's in Australia guys!! .........
Still, he may as well call audi UK, he will get as good a result as the rest of us do! ! LOL

Lol, you're doing better than Audi Oz - the TT dashboard issue is not recognised by Audi Oz.

Took it home, manually cranked it and it seems to be working fine now. Just going to keep an eye on it over the next couple of weeks. If it happens again I'll kick up a stink.

Problem is they are not a common car in Australia - I had this one inspected prior to sale and mechanically it was good. Everything worked. But 2 days later the sunroof stopped working. And I'm around 1000km from the dealer.

And I will name and shame on a number of websites. I have already put in a call to consumer affairs.

Cheers all for the advice