Anyone put an S3 up against a Mk5 Golf GTI?

Lee_shep

Reaction score
I just wondered as I have been given a GTI as a courtesy car whilst my S3 is in the bodyshop having some stonechips removed! I'm really impressed with the GTI and I think it seems as quick as my S3 (with a remap to 265bhp) surely it can't be quicker or can it? Anyone had a go with one?

I had ago against one in my days of owning my A3 1.8T, my car was running a standard K03 remap of 194bhp,
Off a round up to about 70-80ish there was nothing in it,obviously the GTI was standard form of 197bhp...otherwise he'd of killed me.
I'd imagine there's not much in it between the GTI and the S3 if both standard or both Remapped !!

find someone around your area with an s3 and go out for a blap.

Well I'll get my S3 back before the GTI goes back so I'm going to have to give it a good hiding! My S3 is mapped so it'd better be quicker or I'm going to be a bit disappointed! GTI just seems to hit 60 in no time at all!

Hi Lee_Shep....sorry to go off the subject....but what do you mean stone chips removed?

I gave my car a clean today....and I found **** loads.

Nick

Im assuming he means keyed up and sprayed over?

Well they are chips from shattered glass, a drink driver smashed into a bus stop and showered my drivers side with glass so I'm getting it sprayed. My cars not bad but they wernt there before he did that so I want it as it was. I'd just get a touch up pen from audi, I had a few on my bonnet and it sorted them out. I hate it when you clean your car and find things..
Hi Lee_Shep....sorry to go off the subject....but what do you mean stone chips removed?

I gave my car a clean today....and I found **** loads.

Nick

****** hell.....well at least the drink driver didnt drive in to your car!

So you say a toch up pen works on stone chips? So if I go to my local audi dealer, they should have one then?

I was driving in the opposite direction to him and he span towards my car but I managed to swerve out the way! I'm thanking Gran Turismo 5 on the PS3 for my reactions!

They seem to do a decent job, you'll always know that they are there but others would have to go really close to tell! They should have it on the shelf if not they can usually get it for the next day. You get paint and lacquer with them. I'm np expert at touching up but I found the best results came from being patient and building small layers of paint up instead of trying to fill the chips with big blobs of paint! I bet a few people on here can give you some really good advice on how to get the best results.

****** hell.....well at least the drink driver didnt drive in to your car!

So you say a toch up pen works on stone chips? So if I go to my local audi dealer, they should have one then?

I just wondered as I have been given a GTI as a courtesy car whilst my S3 is in the bodyshop having some stonechips removed! I'm really impressed with the GTI and I think it seems as quick as my S3 (with a remap to 265bhp) surely it can't be quicker or can it? Anyone had a go with one?

I had a go with a MK5 GTI Edition 30 and they are very quick nothing in it at all. Off the island I was ahead then at the lights he pulled off better than me, I could not pass him, just stayed the same distance all the way down the dual carrigeway flippin quick in my opinion.:respekt:

Nice one! Is yours mapped?
I had a go with a MK5 GTI Edition 30 and they are very quick nothing in it at all. Off the island I was ahead then at the lights he pulled off better than me, I could not pass him, just stayed the same distance all the way down the dual carrigeway flippin quick in my opinion.:respekt:

I was on the A4 a few weeks back & a mk5 gti tried to escape & he couldnt.

Focus RS is a challenge believe me & thats with a remap the S3's gearing, transmisson losses & weight do it no favours at all.

Must admit the gearing is much better on the golf, seem to get more out of it! I did have a go with a TT 3.2 Quattro on Saturday in my Audi and I gave that a hard time! I probably think this golf is quick because I don't respect it like I do my own, extra 5 mins in bed tomorrow as I wont be waiting for it to heat up! I joke!
I was on the A4 a few weeks back & a mk5 gti tried to escape & he couldnt.

Focus RS is a challenge believe me & thats with a remap the S3's gearing, transmisson losses & weight do it no favours at all.

you know a LE 230GTI can be mapped to around 300bhp how good is that.

Nice one! Is yours mapped?
I dont know only had it for 6 weeks now, well driven it for 3 weeks lol, its been repaired at the moment side impact with Mondeo.

you know a LE 230GTI can be mapped to around 300bhp how good is that.
:tapedshut: Unreal I didnt know that bet that will go like stink then. :superman:maximum :respekt:now :rock::anbet:

Vanilla..... the FR is slower than the Cupra mate............ FR = Poor mans cupra

Heres one, had a chat with someone the other day about Impreza's, basically saying its suprising how close you can get with a remapped 1.8T..... 20 mins later what pulled out on me?, 53 plate STI with big bore and rally flaps..... we both went for it from a rolling start (20mph) albeit up a hill from a roundabout, i can only assume he was a crap driver and wasnt remapped as i stayed with him upto 120mph on this private road near me:), i was chuffed to bits as he was definately having a go..... however i dont honestly think id have a chance if it was mapped with decent driver.

Anyway, back to the thread.... I think you'll miss the S3 interior and the toys:hi:

Had one along side me at lights in Reading, we both floored it, left him behind once I hit 2nd and he never caught me, mind you I also did this with an evo8 and he never lost me!!

^^^^^^^True the same 197bhp engaine. the MKV GTI is slightly faster than a Leon FR due to less waight!

A Std 210 or 225 S3 should be faster than a GTI not a lot in it , but a wins a win!

A remapped S3 should be faster no sweat if driven right.

p

i was thinking the same......Phantom, i did a bit of research on this when i bought this car, and the golf potential didnt look at interesting.....

Vanilla.... so which turbo would the FR be fitted with K03, K03S or K04?

^^^^^^^True the same 197bhp engaine. the MKV GTI is slightly faster than a Leon FR due to less waight!

A Std 210 or 225 S3 should be faster than a GTI not a lot in it , but a wins a win!

A remapped S3 should be faster no sweat if driven right.

p

Theres no way a standard S3 will keep up with a Golf GTI. It weights around 200kg more & has more transmissom loss.

Off the lights an S3 will get away from the GTI, once rolling the distance
would stay the same... that is if both standard....
There's a couple of race's on You tube if you hunt for them,
and this often seem's to be the case !!
I wouldn't hesitate if i was in that situation.....

well i had the K03 1.8T A3 and the 0-60 was in the early 8.0's..... so Golf Gti vs S3...both standard shouldnt be a problem at all...even if they are K03s. Anniversary would be closer but still shouldnt do it in theroy....yes the S3 has tranny loses etc...but it also has a bigger turbo.... its not gonna tear it up, but it should be in front regardless

We offer a superb package for the Golf MK5 GTi.

Consisting of custom re-map and full Jetex Exhaust system. This gives 265+bhp :eyebrows:

The Edition 30 is quicker to 60 in standard, so I would love to see what its like when mapped. I think the engine produces about 230 BHP as factory, but don't quote me on it.

The Edition 30 is quicker to 60 in standard, so I would love to see what its like when mapped. I think the engine produces about 230 BHP as factory, but don't quote me on it.

Ed 30 is 230bhp , but puts out upto 250bhp , when mapped there the same as the S3 and Cupra 300-315bhp just from a map!

p

whats in the edition 30? engine wise..... Wouldnt want a golf personally as think the side windows are huge and the overall stance is higher than the S3....if only a little difference....you get what you pay for

whats in the edition 30? engine wise..... Wouldnt want a golf personally as think the side windows are huge and the overall stance is higher than the S3....if only a little difference....you get what you pay for

Same as the S3 and Cupra , but they all have different Std maps.

p

Not according to here my mate, less than 50kg in it!

http://www.letstorquebhp.com/fwd.asp

And faster to 60 and faster to 100 , agree to be taken with a pinch of salt, and as i said " not a lot in it "

p

If you think that site is for real think again. A standard S3 does not do 0-60 in 5.93 seconds you would be closer if you added another second on. Its all ******** the way its calculated does take account of any transmission losses nor any gearing. I know for a fact that an RS focus will make a standard S3 look stupid.

checkout cars such as the Golf GTI, Focus RS, Astra VXR they are all quicker cars not according to that site (in standard form of course). They all weight less to start with.

If you think that site is for real think again. A standard S3 does not do 0-60 in 5.93 seconds you would be closer if you added another second on. Its all ******** the way its calculated does take account of any transmission losses nor any gearing. I know for a fact that an RS focus will make a standard S3 look stupid.

0-60 for a MkV GTI seems to be 7.2 across the board on any site you look at, same with the waight being around 1328kg

Whats the 0-60 of a S3 8L ? 6.5? whats the waight of a S3 8L ? under 1400kg?

I stand by my original comment of a 8L S3 " SHOULD be faster than a MK V GTI , but not a lot in it , but a wins a win "

You came on saying " theres no way a s3 is faster than a GTI , it waighs 200kg more " ect, well i think your wrong on the waight difference!

EDIT If you show me proof ( stats ) that a GTI is faster and waighs 200kg less than a S3 i'll hold my hands up and say i was wrong , and your right! :) Deal ?

p

yeah they are quicker but you cant tell me that a vxr astra would do an s3 around twistys etc,my mate has one and in a straight line he pulls away but round bends he couldnt kepp up,plus torque steer on those is terrible

I'm sure the performance figures from that site only acts as a guide, since we all know that an 8L S3 requires an extra gearchange to hit 60mph, which will effect accelleration times. Once on the move though, in a straight line at least, an S3 is a match for most 200bhp cars between 30-100 lets say.