FMIC design

sitrials

Reaction score
Website
www.m-a-d.co.uk
well i've been a busy boy since that intercooler kit on ebay sold for £600+ second hand.
the first prototype has been fitted but i have had to loose the fogs and side grills. looks pretty good an works well, no more LAG than standard SMIC yet intercooler core has a larger surface and internal capacity.
I have also had to cut 5mm from the bumper to allow a gap between core and aircon rad.
DSC00107.JPG

pipework has been done in 63mm piping which is the same as standard pipework.
total cost in man hours and parts £265.
what i proposing to do is if anyone is interested at this point is for £350 you would get..
INTERCOOLER CORE 450x230x70 63mm inlets
ALL CORE MOUNTING PARTS
BUMPER BAR (cut) exchanged for your current BUMPER BAR. or extra £45 if no exchange.
ALL SILICON HOSES (USUAL COLOUR CHOICES)
ALLOY PIPES
ALL THE HEAVY DUTY JUBILEE CLIPS
FULL FITTING INSTRUCTIONS

A couple more pictures...
DSC00102.JPG

the green tape is only colour i had at the time to mount external thermostat
behind my RS4 bumper which i have fully repaired and removed headlight washers and number plate recess..
DSC00105.JPG

If anyone is interested no let me know!
or you can wait and i'm going to get the side pipes all made in alloy piping
bigger cores are also available for extra charge.

looks like a good custom jobbie good resale prices to you should do ok out of them im deffinently intersted although want to keep foggies etc

If it helps any you dont need to leave a space between the FMIC and Radiator. No-one else does.

Is that FMIC level?

nice one mate. good work, but dosnt look like it sits level with bumper or crash bar?

Looks good, but had you been on a session down your local boozer when you leveled it up!!

I think i would probably be interested in this, i think the £800 for a forge kit is a bit pricey!

Is it the same size as the forge one? and also is there anyway around it to keep the grills and fogs? i think i prefer a subtle stealth look when you can only just see it behind the grill..:ninja:

Good work!!!!!!

Alrite mate!? Long time since your car has poped up on here, im sure your getting the original RS4 fog components? that would look the **** man! where is the plate going to go without the recess?

Looks good bud. You're still alive then? Do you not answer your phone anymore!?

its is all level now i swear, it was when it was first fitted.
i'm gonna put the humber plate in that place just wanted to smooth it out in the first place.
if i sit the core back and jigly the pipework about a bit i could get the fogs and grills back in.
sorry been busy with wedding and work has been **** last 2 days!

looks really good...... wouldnt wana lose the fogs though.... how much extra work would it take to keep them, pipework wise

well i am going to try today.
sit the core back an inch. just jiggle the pipework round a bit if you were to use smaller tubing it could be achieved easily.
but i will see today!
forge use a wider intercooler maybe that is the key to sitting the pipework back enough to refit fogs. but i didn't want to increase the LAG from the spool up so only went with the medium core.

its not the pressure loss i cared about it was the overall lag.

anyway good news is i have the all the grills back in and reckon i've cracked it for getting the fogs back in.

bad news is whilst trying to fit the RS4 bumper again today it cracked again so i through a paddy and have ripped it into 5 pieces! what a waste of money that was!

New rule: Dont work on your car when its your time of the month.

Now mummy's gotta put all your toys back in the pram!
Sounds like it's time for a beer!

its not the pressure loss i cared about it was the overall lag.

Erm, one and the same. If the pressure loss is too great it has to flow more air before the pressure becomes the same as it was before intercooler, hence lag.

bad news is whilst trying to fit the RS4 bumper again today it cracked again so i through a paddy and have ripped it into 5 pieces! what a waste of money that was!

Ouch! was just starting to look good aswell and you were doin what i wanted to do with mine getting rid of the numberplate recess.

Great news on the grills and fogs. If you have moved the intercooler back towards the rad, could you install it without cutting the crash bar?

I'm interested in this if you can get it in with the fogs and grill, and ideally without cutting the crash bar, or do you have any pics on how much of the bar you need to cut away?

I thought the Forge Kit comes with a 'pre-cut' crash bar? That said IIRC there was a AS.NET member who DIY his FMIC then got slated for cutting into his crash bar even though Forge do it themselves!

im sure Glen said that the Forge item required no cutting of the crash bar.....

IIRC Glen had the Star performance FMIC which didn't require the crash bar to be cut. Although it was mad by forge but to Stars design

I think I would rather have a slightly smaller FMIC and keep the crash bar intact, than having a huge FMIC and a crash bar that has had all the strength removed.

you can fit the core behind the crash bar as is but was very tight this is why i bought the size of core i did to try to not cut the crash bar at all!
but as this is a prototype and a crash bar fairly inexpensive i thought why not cut it away, after all I know what would need cutting away if i wanted a bigger core!
as i said above i can supply precut crash bars anyway with exchange for you old one or £35 you keep yours uncut! for if you wish to return to standard!

fitting is pretty much identical to the forge kit moving the horn etc.
plus using thinner pipework will allow fogs to be fitted.

dave i know what your saying but i meant was i didn't want a big lump of boost to suddenly wack me back in my seat. although it does anyway with original setup.
hopefully we will see when car is remapped again but won't be for a month or so yet.

Sitrials will actually make much difference being a smaller core than most, yours looks about the same size as the two side mounted ones put together then with thiner pipe work to get the fogs and grill back in is it worth it??

I'm not slating your work, just don't know much about fitting one!!

does the FMIC provide longer intervals of boost..... i assume not as its the cooling that is its objective..... making more use of the boost thats there rather than increasing it....correct me if im wrong

Having a FMIC *may* allow you to run more boost, as the inlet air is cooler so you *could* run more timing before the ecu pulls it back to protect the engine.

Is that not the case?

na i dont wana run more boost.... im fairly certain i understand the use.... it basically allows you to make the most of the boost you already have......

There isnt, but there is a lot of benefit in changing the downpipe for a larger one. And its cheaper to decat as well at that point than it is to buy a sports system with cat.

There isnt, but there is a lot of benefit in changing the downpipe for a larger one. And its cheaper to decat as well at that point than it is to buy a sports system with cat.

A3 or S3 dave?
A3 I'd agree...d/pipe is good.
S3...never seen one yet that makes much by way of power...not on a standard turbo.

had the same convo with CC when i had my remap.......r.e the downpipe.... cost a fortune for 2-3bhp gain

When i was at Jabba a few days ago i spoke to Mike there as they had some stuff on display and he said theres no point with Sports cats,DP's,induction kits etc etc unless you are going for the big turbo otherwise waste of time.

What they did say is that they have a 450bhp demo S3 which is open to test drives..... But... it was in the body shop so didn't get a look in!! someone crashed into it the previous week. Apparently a cross between a IHI and some other turbo something new on the market and the Kit costs about £4500