Fuel economy - Rather impressed!

themanthatcan

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hey fellas,

The missus and I went down to North Devon on Friday for a long weekend away. Although I was looking forward to taking the S3 on it's first long trek, I wasn't looking forward to the huge fuel bill :(

Imagine my surprise when we got back yesterday and had managed just over 500 miles from a tank! That works out at around 40mpg:rock: Admittedly I was driving like a granny for the majority of the journey, but it was all up and down big hills which is never good for economy. There was a few periods where I got bored and had to boot it so could probably have done even better with a bit more self-control, but overall I was chuffed :) I'd love to know the sort of economy people who live in flat countires like holland get!

What's the best the rest of you have managed from a tank?

never fill it up as the extra weight goes against it:laugh:, i always put in £35 a week and that takes me 135 miles....and thats driving through traffic, 20 mile round trip every day and very lil stints to the shops....

What was the cost of the 500miles worth of fuel so we can compare?

thats quite impressive!! i do approx 330 miles per week about 250 of them on the motorway but the rest stuck in london traffic. i've tried to be abit more careful with my right foot as the fuel bills are getting higher and higher! anyways after a week of granny driving i got about 330miles with a quatre of a tank left. was quite happy about that.

I regularly get 380 miles off a full tank, which no matter what the cost of petrol is, I always put in £60 a week due to the miles i do. I think i could easily get more, but you know what its like when you finish work and just want to get home....thats using V Power if that matters....

you are a genius to get 500 miles from that..... are you a skinny chap by any chance?:laugh:

my V power is now 117.9p :mad:

I'm lucky if I get 300 out of a tank, but I do enjoy driving those 300 miles.

you are a genius to get 500 miles from that..... are you a skinny chap by any chance?:laugh:

my V power is now 117.9p :mad:

Hehe wouldn't call me skinny but I'm not overweight either (6'2" and 13st). My missus is quite "curvy" though and tends to have a noticeable affect on mpg :) We also had the car packed full of stuff so it was much heavier than usual.

I'd normally only get between 300 and 350 miles from a tank so sounds like my light right foot had the desired effect :thumbsup:

I'm driving down to Cornwall from London Town at the weekend, so everyones MPG figures are filling me with some hope.

Thou to be honest you would n't buy an S3 with mpg figures in mind, but the thought of giving the motor a bit of a blast, and the possibility of actually having some money left from the petrol bill for a couple of extra beers is making me happy

:rockwoot:

that very impressivemate, i usually get just over 400 miles to a tank, DIS is showing an average of 36mpg at the moment but i dont know how accurate that is, always reset when i fuel up tho. Wierd thing is my A3 1.8T Quattro would only get just over 300 miles to a tank!

I usually get 360miles off a tank, but until this one was on normal unleaded.

Just trying out Super on this tank, and so far the DIS is claiming I'll get 420. so pretty good.

Don't do short trips <5 miles if I can avoid them, and mainly do ~16 each way to the golf club via nice fun twisty roads...

Cheers,

Hey fellas,

The missus and I went down to North Devon on Friday for a long weekend away. Although I was looking forward to taking the S3 on it's first long trek, I wasn't looking forward to the huge fuel bill :(

Imagine my surprise when we got back yesterday and had managed just over 500 miles from a tank! That works out at around 40mpg:rock: Admittedly I was driving like a granny for the majority of the journey, but it was all up and down big hills which is never good for economy. There was a few periods where I got bored and had to boot it so could probably have done even better with a bit more self-control, but overall I was chuffed :) I'd love to know the sort of economy people who live in flat countires like holland get!

What's the best the rest of you have managed from a tank?

Wow that's really impresive mate is your car standard. I bet you would not have got those figures if your missus was not with you lol. I bet your missus is not a member on here, she would probably kill you with you describing her as curvy lol. very funny mate :laugh::applaus:

Hehe wouldn't call me skinny but I'm not overweight either (6'2" and 13st). My missus is quite "curvy" though and tends to have a noticeable affect on mpg :) We also had the car packed full of stuff so it was much heavier than usual.

I'd normally only get between 300 and 350 miles from a tank so sounds like my light right foot had the desired effect :thumbsup:

It's standard apart from a stage 1 CC remap, Forge 007P and Green panel filter. I tell you what has made a big difference in fuel economy though and that's cleaning the MAF.

My better half doesn't mind being called curvy at all..in fact she prefers it to "fat-assed" or "big-boned" ;) It's just my little way of saying she's got some meat on her. The bigger the cushion the harder the pushin as they say :)

I disconnected the battery and things improved but I'm still not convinced it's back to full power. I hooked up Vag-Com to log boost levels on my drive to work this morning but for some reason the log file was empty so I'm popping out in a minute to try again.

Will let you know what Vag-Com says.