Coilover advice.

Stuart_A3_Turbo

Reaction score
Im beginning to get impatient now so after advice. I thought it would be wise to fit the coilovers at the same time as my H&R anti roll bar kit but they still havent arrived yet. Im now getting rather annoyed with some gorgeous coilovers being used as a table in my room so do you think id be fine sticking them on and lowering it to the max without the new anti roll bars? It was mentioned that the driveshaft may touch the standard roll bar when dropped that far? Need advice as im thinking of getting them done saturday, washing and polishing car and getting a few pics /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Stuart_A3_Turbo said:
Im beginning to get impatient now so after advice. I thought it would be wise to fit the coilovers at the same time as my H&R anti roll bar kit but they still havent arrived yet. Im now getting rather annoyed with some gorgeous coilovers being used as a table in my room so do you think id be fine sticking them on and lowering it to the max without the new anti roll bars? It was mentioned that the driveshaft may touch the standard roll bar when dropped that far? Need advice as im thinking of getting them done saturday, washing and polishing car and getting a few pics /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

if you slam it on the coilovers, you WILL F*** the driveshaft. Not worth it IMO, just wait and get it all done at the same time.

Rich

I'm in the same position. Could you not fit the coilovers and not lower them as much so the driveshafts are okay?

BTW, how low can you go without having to touch the ARB or buying droplinks??

Food for thought...although most people don't want to hear it!

Lower it too much and you'll kill the handling...be sensible and you will keep the chassis designs inherent resistance to roll...lower than that and it may look 'better' but it'll handle badly.

It seems a shame to spend lots of money on buying decent kit, then undo all the good you will do the the handling by fitting quality kit, by dumping it in the weeds.

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
Food for thought...although most people don't want to hear it!

Lower it too much and you'll kill the handling...be sensible and you will keep the chassis designs inherent resistance to roll...lower than that and it may look 'better' but it'll handle badly.

It seems a shame to spend lots of money on buying decent kit, then undo all the good you will do the the handling by fitting quality kit, by dumping it in the weeds.

[/ QUOTE ]

A good point.

Whats a good drop over standard?

When i do mine, primarily i want it o handle well and the good looks are just a bonus really.. say 40mm maybe?

Rich

so on an a3 quattro , you can in theory , wind coilovers all the way down without damaging anything in the process? You'll just loose some handling ability?

Ok, i shall wait a bit longer, im just too damn impatient for my own good. The anti roll bars should be here middle of next week so ill get them on, get the coilovers on and wind it down bit by bit after a few drives each time to see what i think of it. Ideally, i want it down 60mm as it is currently down 50mm on springs and with the 19's, it looks a bit too high.