New Shape Leon Cupra R

vanilla_ice

Reaction score
Hi,

Had a little play with one this evening. Followed it off the lights and proceeded to pass it and clear a few lengths with relative ease and I'm fairly sure the driver was trying!

Should this be the case with a Stage 1 remapped S3? I was pleasently suprised!

ICE

There is no new shape Leon Cupra R, just the Cupra. Looks like they're only 238BHP so there shouldn't have been much in it after taking into account the extra transmission losses and weight of the S3.

plus even if you did lose, you could be happy in the knowledge that his dash looks like a piece of crappy plastic that has had some holes drilled by Stevie Wonder..... lovely exterior....interior is awful!!!

As said above was it the Cupra or a FR?

If it's the Cupra they seem to be putting out around 255bhp on RR's , and he would spin some of that away!

Good arrows!:)

p

Are the FR's slower? i had an 08 plate Ibiza FR diesel try the other day, totally ruined him

err weight to power?

Don't they have the same engine a 1.8T and must be at least 300kg lighter!

He should have spanked you:sorry:, maybe he wasn't trying!:think:

nope, apparently they do a diesel FR Ibiza now, and he certainly looked to be trying, plus there was a bit of black smoke coming from the exhaust...the usual soot that comes when a diesel floors it....

Just had a peek...they are 130bhp, bit poo really

they do a cupra kit for the FR from factory standard with the twin pips and aggressive styling (girl friends dad has 1 and my mapped s3 is much quicker) did it have any badges on??? if not im guessing it was an FR!!

from what i know, from memory...there is one really quick Leon now and the rest are dressed up dogs.... most Leons i come up against are the diesel types which i think carry the 150bhp engine

The car I saw definately had a cupra badge.

ICE

My old car

DSC00949-1.jpg

Thats the only badge on a Cupra!

Same engaine and inards as a S3 just de-tuned.

The Leon FR is same engaine/power as a Golf GTI.

p

When you say S3 i persume your talking about the new S3...
Because i think off memory the new shape Cupra has the same 2.0T
engine as the Golf GTI, only running more power than the Golf,but less
than the S3...
I'd say that rolling their wouldn't be much in it at all...
so yeah Vanilla...I'd say nice work !!

New shape Cupra has the 2.0TSFI engine, 240Bhp and 220ft.lbs. It weighs about the same amount as your S3.

You remapped car will be slightly faster, but not much in it. If his was remapped, you wouldnt stand a chance in hell.

Hi,

phantom - the car was definately that shape, but there was an extra (aftermarket??) badge on the right hand side of the boot. I think part of the logo was green, but not so sure now.

Dave - remapped or not I still passed it. They "could" be remapped I "could" be BT'd.

Only started this thread as I was suprised my 7 year old S3 appeared to pass a 'fast' looking modern car with ease - maybe they weren't trying (but I think they were) - I'll never know.

Be interesting to actually know what model it was though!

ICE

There is no new shape Leon Cupra R, just the Cupra. Looks like they're only 238BHP so there shouldn't have been much in it after taking into account the extra transmission losses and weight of the S3.

Actually mate he might be right as there is a new Cupra, its called the Leon Cupra K. Quite nice looking too :icon_thumright:

Seat_Leon_Cupra_JE_Design_51.jpg

I dont think he was trying at all, given that his car loses about 30Bhp less than yours through the transmission, and you were both already rolling, then he pbviously wasnt trying, as he car is faster than yours. period.

When you say S3 i persume your talking about the new S3...
Because i think off memory the new shape Cupra has the same 2.0T
engine as the Golf GTI, only running more power than the Golf,but less
than the S3...
I'd say that rolling their wouldn't be much in it at all...
so yeah Vanilla...I'd say nice work !!

Not quite right there my mate, the Cupra and Now the K1 have the same 2.0Tfsi engaine , K04 turbo , con rods , ect ,as the S3 and ED30

It's just de-tuned to 238bhp but puts out 255-ishbhp on RR's

The S3 has a bigger core intercooler and runs a different compression, everything else is the same!

The Golf GTI and Leon FR have a diffrerent 2.0Tfsi engaine and a K03 turbo and they put out 200-210bhp.

p

Hi,

phantom - the car was definately that shape, but there was an extra (aftermarket??) badge on the right hand side of the boot. I think part of the logo was green, but not so sure now.

ICE

The FR has a badge on the right hand side of the boot , i think it's silver and red and just says FR.

In the centre of the boot it would of said LEON , only the Cupra says Cupra while all the other Leons say Leon!

If that makes sense!:)

By the way my names Leon hehehehe

p

The FR has a badge on the right hand side of the boot , i think it's silver and red and just says FR.

In the centre of the boot it would of said LEON , only the Cupra says Cupra while all the other Leons say Leon!

If that makes sense!:)

By the way my names Leon hehehehe

p

I reckon it must have been a LEON FR then. Are they quick?

Cheers,

ICE

I reckon it must have been a LEON FR then. Are they quick?

Cheers,

ICE

Same as a MK V Golf GTI mate!

So if you went past it pretty easy, then that sounds about right!

The K1 Cupra has the FULL body kit on it and has a single centre exhaust ( a la VXR )

p