ko4 conversion on a3

ste_1210

Reaction score
just picked up a ko4 for pritty cheap anyone done it before on a a3?

iv got the turbo which is the ko4 023 which came from a bam
also got the exhaust manifold and the inlet manifold with the injectors and fuel rail. got the tip and the oil and coilent lines

i know i still need to get a downpipe or a converter for the ko3 to ko4

just wanted to know how straight forward it and and also there seems to be a wire goin to the turbo whats that for i never seen one of them on a ko3/ko3s

As far as im aware its a bit of a nightmare conversion, hence rarely done. you will need a custom downpipe and 3" MAF i think, and not sure if you could us standard TIP. not sure what else, try ukmkivs.net and seatcupra.net as there are a few done on there i think.
Good luck with it, will be interesting to see results.

You'll need a converter to attach it to your downpipe, plus a new TIP. You wont need the inlet manifold, use your existing one.

However, its not often done as its not worth the effort. The K03s will give you 90% of the K04 without needing the complicated converters, or changing the manifold etc. Plus the K03s has less lag due to its design than the K04, thus people tend to stick to K03s.

K03s - 250Bhp, hardly any lag, best power delivered from 3000rpm to 4500rpm. Uses existing manifold, downpipe, oil lines, coolant lines.

K04 - 280Bhp, more lag, best power delivered from 3500rpm to 5000rpm, needs lot of new parts.

You can force 250Bhp and 290ft.lbs from a K03s so it just isnt really that popular to go K04.

That said, if you have most stuff already you'll need a new TIP, new MAF, new downpipe and lots and lots of time/money.

I fitted a k04-023 to a mk4 golf a while back for a mate. The conversion was quite easy. We used mainly TT parts. It's very straight forward if you have all the bits. As mentioned, you don't have to use the K04 inlet and fuel rail if you have an AUM engine as the EV6 injectors are a straight swap. AGU would need some faffing.

For the exhaust we had a couple of flanges cut and then used a simple stainless bend to connect the K04 outlet to k03 downpipe. There is a company in the states that makes them, but they are stupid expensive for what to get. I heard that you can use a 2WD Seat Leon LCR downpipe these days.

Good conversion IMO if you are a DIYer. I have to disagreed with the lag issue. You can upgrade to a JBS05 later for 300bhp.

Or sack the whole thing off, sell the parts and go for a hybrid k03/k04 to get S3/TT remapped power.

The wire is an exhaust gas temp sensor. You can remove it and replace with a suitable bung or attach a gauge.

this is quite interesting as my mate is looking to fit a KO4 to his LEon

Go with the K03S if i were you less hassle, My A3 eats S3's For breakfast now anyways.... :gun2: lol...

Jason

well for 400 notes for everything i think i got a good deal considering a good ko3s will cost me aound £200 and i got custom code stage 2 already so ill get discount from them.
i got a blueflame exhaust system with high flow cat so dont realy wanna mess to much with it so might have to chop the downpipe in half,

well with my front mount and the other few bits i got and with nice map should see around 280bhp and thats better then the 225 i got at the moment and for the funds iv got its alot better then spending 4k on a ihi or g28rs

will you see 280bhp with that, an S3 will see 270-275 remapped and they already have a relatively unrestricted exhaust.... what makes you think you can achieve 280?....... tell me if im missing something

You 'should' get 280Bhp from a K04 if its on a AGU with the large ports.

On actual S3s 275 even is rare, and 265 is way more likely.

iv heard that alot about agu heads i used to have a golf gti turbo which was a agu with larger ports was just shy of 240bhp when i fitted the ko3s and few other bits and bobs, i always thogutht my audi had a ko3s as it wasa 180bhp but now i found out the did a ko3 at a 180 so the ko4 come for a good price so what the hell give it ago.

You 'should' get 280Bhp from a K04 if its on a AGU with the large ports.

What about a KO4-001 on A3 AGU? Meant to be a simple bolt-on with no mucking about, many tuners offer it as a kit. Anyone on here done it? If yes, any feedback???

from what iv read about the ko4-001 its just like a ko3s it will bolt on to exsisting manifold but u need a different downpipe and inlet. thats if im correct im sure somone can confirm this

hey guys, who sells the cheapest KO4 001 in the uk? I've got an APR chip so if I get the APR KO4 001 upgrade kit, the software is free. but their ****** kit costs 1200 BP. If I buy my on KO4 001, the software is much cheaper (but not free).:(

just picked up a downpipe from a s3 today will probly start the install over the weekend :D

I'd be interested to see if it gets done in a weekend.

Took me about 3 days from start to finish due to various issues/parts needed etc.

wont get it finished over the weekend but its not in use at the moment as it got write off and i bought it back from insurence so its in and out of the garage getting paint work ect.. done

the s3 down pipe is good for me as it will clear the propshaft on my a3 all i need to is get my downpipe made up with the flange of this. gonna be time consumeing if was my daily car would be a problem

my m8 has one in that oldschool brown/gold says the mechanical diff is sooo much better that any of this new electronic rubbish.. would be interesting to drive with the diff lock!