Finally Got the car a Chip - Results

MingBluS3

Reaction score
After sitting on my **** for 2 months due to redundancy i got a job offer this week and start on monday. So i decided i deserve a little treat which ive been talking about for ages.
I was very bored yesterday and decided to give AMD a call to find out how soon they could do a Remap. The guy on the phone said they had a free slot this afternoon providing i could get there by 3 o'clock. I got there in two hours and could not stop to get any optimax before hand. Unfortunatly i had 95ron unleaded for the remap and dyno-plot, i would have prefered it if the car could have cooled down but it was taken straight in the minute i got there.

Here are the results for my 210bhp

Bhp

212.8bhp @ 5539rpm before
252.6bhp @ 5889rpm after

Torque

218.2lb ft @ 3005rpm before
272.0lb ft @ 4662rpm after

Not too impressed with the results but the car feels much better, i asked why the bhp/torque figures were lower than other figures i had seen, Gary mentioned that it is probably down to the heat as he had run it quite a few times on the rollers, then i menitoned to him that the petrol was 95 ron. Are these reasons fair, what do you guys with chips think of my results?

I was happy with the service and timescale, afterall i called them at 1:00pm today was there by 3:00pm and was driving home Chipped at 5:45pm..... without even needing a booking.

Have you tried accelerating hard as you overtake?

Ie. when the wheels are exactly straight? and scaried the living pejesus outtaya?

well try it!

Took a couple of mates out in it when i got back but it's wet and i bet the traction control is kicking in without me even realising. Does go very nicely now, i did notice a buring smell earlier when i booted it hard for the first time, so i bakced off, i wasnt sure if it was a car infront or soemthing. Also i'm paranoid to give it hard incase it blows up or something like that. Now its chipped surely you cant cane it all the time??

I know what you mean about driving a loaded bomb...

But really you should be finding it hard just getting a long enough stretch of road.

Acceleration on a chipped S3 is scary. . . to the noive anyway..

You'll soon get bored with the extra power and in a few months it'll seem pedestrian. I chipped mine a year ago now and it simply isn't enough. I need at least 400bhp and even more torque to make me feel good about myself again.

Well done buddy! Makes quite an improvement doesn't it!

As said before, don't get too caught up with the power figures. They're only numbers after all!

The main differnece is how it feels on the road.

Enjoy and start saving for the Big Turbo's etc!
Rich.

Stuff the bhp figures! They mean nothing, it's the driving expeirience that you should be interested in.
Too much focus is put on rolling road figures, yes they are nice to talk about over a beer, but would someone really notice 20bhp on the road...probably not, they'll just know you're fast!

Just to prove figures don't mean a great deal, my A3T FWD is running around 200hp and will outpace a chipped S3 on the move.....

Just enjoy and let the Saxo boys worry about a couple of hp here and there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm sure you're smiling from ear to ear /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said:
Stuff the bhp figures! They mean nothing, it's the driving expeirience that you should be interested in.
Too much focus is put on rolling road figures, yes they are nice to talk about over a beer, but would someone really notice 20bhp on the road...

[/ QUOTE ]

You have no idea what it means for me to say that I have 266 bhp and 312 lbs/torque. My entire life is defined by the size, power and acceleration of my engine. In fact there is no greater joy in life than knowing I have a more powerful engine than most of you. You may think 20 BHP is neither here nor there but to me it is absolutely everything.

Cheers guy's.

The chip cost me 646 inc Vat. I coud not keep waiting for these group buy's and decided just to get a generic remap straight away.

I'm just going to get some more optimax and see what it feels like in the dry.

just one thing, last night it was very wet, i went to floor it and the traction control kicked in and the car sortof backfired, is this normal?

i have millteks , but yeh i get some back firing sounds.

I notice my power is out driving my clutch .. i have a very slippery clutch at the moment ~. Need buy some uprated clutch and ligtened the flywheel.

[ QUOTE ]
Golf Bygone said:
You have no idea what it means for me to say that I have 266 bhp and 312 lbs/torque. My entire life is defined by the size, power and acceleration of my engine. In fact there is no greater joy in life than knowing I have a more powerful engine than most of you. You may think 20 BHP is neither here nor there but to me it is absolutely everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can always guarantee you'll have something to say /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

Come to think about it size really does matter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Its not the size of the waves......ITS THE MOTION IN THE OCEAN /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
James M said:
[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said:
Too much focus is put on rolling road figures, yes they are nice to talk about over a beer, but would someone really notice 20bhp on the road...probably not, they'll just know you're fast!

Just to prove figures don't mean a great deal, my A3T FWD is running around 200hp and will outpace a chipped S3 on the move.....

Just enjoy and let the Saxo boys worry about a couple of hp here and there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm sure you're smiling from ear to ear /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it strange that even though your car is FWD you could out pace a a chipped S3 on the move surely a chipped S3 would be sub 15secs 1/4 mile

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm... sounds like fighting talk!