Chris NottSky Insurance
    Reverse Gear

Status

Calling S3 owners!

How is your OE top strut brace attached?

I'm a member of ukmkvis and need your help

I have bought one to fit my Mk4 Golf, most people have mentioned the usual route of drilling holes and using bolts through the suspension turrets, i'm just wondering how Audi originally attached it from the factory? captive studs attached to the cars suspension turrets? or maybe the studs are attached to the suspension assembly (spring/shock) as a top plate and poke through the turret?

Thanks

Tim
    Last edited by Timgti1.8t; 2nd May 2008 at 18:59.

2. # ADS
    ADS

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Hi Tim, factory S3's have studs on top of the struts where the Strut brace sits on, then it's bolted down. I have an early 99 S3 which didn't come with a strut brace, nore the studs, so used nuts and bolts with a drilled through hole instead.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

Reverse Gear

Status
    Cheers for the reply

I didnt realise they didnt put them on the early S3s, thats a bugger.

So your saying the studs are attached to the chassis? ie the turrets? basically the studs are attached where i would have to drill?

Thats a pity, i was hoping the studs were attached to part of the suspension top mount/plate which would of been great, just buy s3 top plates for the studs and the appropriate nurts and the bar would of been directly attached to the suspension. ideal.

Nuts and Bolts and a drill it is then.

what would be nice is some suitable vag nuts and bolts with the oe looking galvanised finish but i wouldnt know where to look for part numbers for such things.

Tim

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Timgti1.8t View Post
    Cheers for the reply

I didnt realise they didnt put them on the early S3s, thats a bugger.

So your saying the studs are attached to the chassis? ie the turrets? basically the studs are attached where i would have to drill?

Thats a pity, i was hoping the studs were attached to part of the suspension top mount/plate which would of been great, just buy s3 top plates for the studs and the appropriate nurts and the bar would of been directly attached to the suspension. ideal.

Nuts and Bolts and a drill it is then.

what would be nice is some suitable vag nuts and bolts with the oe looking galvanised finish but i wouldnt know where to look for part numbers for such things.

Tim

I didn't realise I didn't have one, until I spotted another S3 with one and enquired where he purchased it from... he told me it was standard lol.

I actually sourced my genuine S3 Strut brace off a chap on uk-Mkiv's along with the bolts.

The standard studs are on the turret part of the strut yes, I had mine fitted by AmD when they we're based in Bicester.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

Oil running through my veins.

Status
    Fitted a strut brace to mine, drill through with self locking bolts but with a spacer cos of the engine cover... had to hammer away at the inside of the bonnet too ,to get it to close flush. be careful you dont crack the paint as you close the bonnet down.
    Totally addicted to boost.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thats all really good info guys.

These strut bars must make a difference if Audi saw fit to add them only on the later cars, why bother otherwise.

Any ideas on size of bolts used? best fit for least play in the holes?

Thanks

Tim