MAJOR HELP NEEDED !!!

texas_venom316

Reaction score
Hey guys im new here, hope ur all cool. Let me begin by telling the story. I purchased this s3 as a cat c as a little project to see if i can get it roadworthy again and then perhaps keep it for myself. Now i am not a mechanic but i can do intermediate things so all the main stuff i take to my local mechanic.
When i bought this car the exhaust system was missing from the downpipe onwards , so i ordered a new one and had it fitted without a cat, so basically had a decat pipe made from the 2 piece into the one. I then had the standard s3 backcox cut off and had a perfromance one added.
Now as for the engine ..... i have discovered the car has a backdraft turbo upgrade so i called them up and am in the process of arranging a booking with them, however its quite far from me so ill need to drive it down, but before i can do that i need to make it driveable!!
So when i bought it this lambda sensor (next to turbo) was fried and not even connected which i thought was the reason the car is running so rich and also i changed the Mass airflow sensor which i thought would fix the dodgey idling problem ( doesnt idle still and fluctuates). the car also stalls if you rev it at high revs and then come t o stand still i.e traffic lights . So after installing these 2 parts it appears that now i cnt even drive over 2000 rpm with the car jerking like crazy. I have attached a video and pics so i can show you guys what its like. I have a friend who works for auid but they wont touch it because its been modified. I also have a friend who has the computer software for audi so im going to connect it up and get some error codes. But guys i simply want to make it driveable so i can take it down to backdraft so any advoce would really be appreciated. Before the lambda was not connected it was also drinking petrol like any man business.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptu9VmS2S34

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...g?t=1209651948

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...g?t=1209651976

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...g?t=1209651996

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...g?t=1209652016

new lambda sensor bought froim allpartsautomotive.co.uk and all it says is to fit audi a3 quat. But the connector fits and i gave them my reg number for them to match it.

I also managed to order a wrong sensor and now they wont take it back, which is a bosch lambda sensor 0258007097, so if anyone wants it , let me no/

ANY HELP I WILL REALLY APPRECIATE> THANK YOU EVERYONE :respekt:

I'm no mechanic but have you checked your coil packs?? sounds like it's misfiring...

Yeah, most are cool on here...lol

First I would turn that off, sounds pretty horse to me. (could be coilpacks, it's hard to tell, but I suspect a little more with that noise and smoke). Defo. get it hooked up to VAGCOM

My first port of call would be head gasket TBH, that smoke looks white, that usuallt denotes steam. Does it smell sweet??

Also did she have water/coolant in there when you got it?

You have to go over the basics and try to get everything back to how it might have been after the BT install.

It's got fuel, but how is the compression? Test this.
You need to get VAG-COM on it to detect component failures

I see a few pipes and electrical connectors off. Looks like in the second pic that the previous owner may have removed some of the emissions vacuum guff and left the electric components plugged in. This isn't a bad thing, but check that all is right with whats left. It sounds like a bad vacuum leak also.

Oh yeah, those pipes you have a air conditioning connections. I take it the condenser infront of the radiator is missing. No biggy. Just cover the connections for now, but you'll need to get the system cleaned if you fit another condenser before recharging.

How much did you pay for the car if you don't mind me asking? You thought about breaking the car?

Sounds like it's running fine for a "BackDoor" car!! brhahahaahahahahahaa!

Good luck with it fella!

They should not call me an "idiot" then, should they??!! LOL

well i got it for 3.4k which i well worth it, even if i have to change the whole engine so be it and i can still sell it for 6.6k all day long :)

its your money mate so its totaly up to you what you do with it but i only paid 4800 for mine on a 2000 x-reg and its in mint condition and never been in a crash!

i agree with Byzan A4, check headgasket mate!

guys its not the hg, because i serviced it and the oil was ok, the compression is ok because it was driving very quick before the parts have been changed.

I just tested the coilpack and 2 of them arent sparking so it look like that is one of the problems. VAGCOM diagnosed one probled, the air mass sensor, which cannot be correct because i put a new one in. However i am wondering that since i used a non audi part replacement whether that could be the reason its saying the signal is too high ? Im going to put new coilpacks in and then hopefully everything will be cool ... il kepp u guys updated and thanks for all your replies, the really helped me out, im well chuffed :beerchug:

well ive changed 2 of the coil packs that were`nt working , but it still misfires above 2000 rpm ??? yesterday i cleared the error codes on wagcom and ran it again only for it to bring up mass air flow sensor but i have put a new one in ? I used a universal replacemtn so im thinking perhaps this is the reason ? but surely it wouldt cause misfiring ????

Universal replacements arent good for turbo cars. MAF sensor is one of the most vital thing to the set up, so if this is out, then im pretty sure thats ur prob..

Ive heard alot about people having issues with the cheap aftermarket MAF's, and your symptoms seem to suggest the MAF so i would get a genuine one from the stealers or good quality Bosch item.

its your money mate so its totaly up to you what you do with it but i only paid 4800 for mine on a 2000 x-reg and its in mint condition and never been in a crash!

i agree with Byzan A4, check headgasket mate!

4800 for an X reg S3, had it gone to the moon and back?

I used a universal replacemtn so im thinking perhaps this is the reason ? but surely it wouldt cause misfiring ????

Jesus mate if you have used some random universal MAF no wonder it's not working right!

The mafs on these cars are SO important to it running well.....

You paid sodd all for the car, so be a man and invest in a decent genuine MAF from audi.

Should fix all your problems.

alright i put the old maf in and ran wagcom and now i have no errors !!! This is all very good but i still have an idling problem where it just simply fluctuates, so i took the throttle body out and cleaned it all and it ran ALOT better however still diditn fix the problem. Can the throttle body be responsible however for letting the car runf rich / cutting out at the lights and running slightly rich as i can smell petrol when driving ??? hmmm

by the way how much is a new throttle body ... AUDI only of corse :whistle2:

alright i put the old maf in and ran wagcom and now i have no errors !!! This is all very good but i still have an idling problem where it just simply fluctuates, so i took the throttle body out and cleaned it all and it ran ALOT better however still diditn fix the problem. Can the throttle body be responsible however for letting the car runf rich / cutting out at the lights and running slightly rich as i can smell petrol when driving ??? hmmm

by the way how much is a new throttle body ... AUDI only of corse :whistle2:

yea it deffo sounds like your throttle body needs replacing mate

does it make a 'buzzing' sound when you turn the ignition on (before starting the car) like its trying to auto-align but it just doesnt?

;)

Hi,

Try a throttle body reset on VAG COM before buying a new throttle body. We have one here that you can try when you come down anyway.
Something else to check is the hose route back from the DV to the intake pipe. If it is twisted it can backfeed into the MAF when the DV opens. Try disconnecting the hose to the intake pipe and see if it ticks over better. Dont run with this open though as something can get sucked into the turbo.

If its driving ok now you can get it booked in for a check over as its been in an accident.

Regards
Mark
Backdraft Motorsport

4800 for an X reg S3, had it gone to the moon and back?

not quite.just under 100,000 but millage doesnt bother me that much on these engines,they go for ever!plus im a mechanic if it breaks ill fix it

I just sold my 99 t reg mk4 18t with 140k miles and got £4300 for it!! That was acheap S3 you got there!

And yes, the motors go for ever!

yeh, im planning on booking it in on monday Mark, but its a bit of a drive so i need to make sure its going to get there ok and not get damaged, i was considering towing it just in case. Hopefully this throttle body reset will work. Im going to try it and then let you know .

Can u reset it on the trial version of vagcom or do u need the full software?

Throttle body reset is blog 060 and switch to basic settings. Ignition on but engine not running. Not sure if it can be done on the trial version or not, sorry.
Favourite item to check though is the DV return to the intake pipe. You can try swapping it with the brether pipe entry into the intake pipe.
However, with all of the above, its probably better to bring it in if your not sure. We are not going to charge you just to look at it.
Regards
Mark.

Mark i just did the readjustment on vagcom for the throttllebody but to no avail. It is making a constant beeeeeep, so im quite sure its faults because it sounds like its trying to do something. I am going to give backdraft a call 2mrw if they r open and take it down. I`ve noticed that the car only stalls when u giv it some welly and then return to idel i.e. traffic lights . If you just cruise around 2/2500 rpm it doesnt cut out