Headlight adjusters broken - DIY job?

stevehaskew

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. I got my Y-reg facelift S3 last Saturday. I've already read through the posts about headlight aim, but I still have a question. The horizontal manual adjust on my headlights seems to be broken inside. The vertical adjust works, but turning the allen key for the horizontal gets me nowhere. I'm very much a DIYer and I was wondering if anybody knows if I stand any chance of looking into this by removing my headlights and possibly looking inside, or whether I'm more likely to screw it up even worse!

Thanks,

Steve

How many turns of the allen key adjuster have you done? If the previous owner had over adjusted them it wil take alot of winding before you see any movement, i had this previously and was thinking i was gonna have to replace the headlamp. As far as i know you cant buy parts for the internals of the headlamp so if it is broken you will probably be looking at a new headlamp which are circa £480 from the dealer.

It's not difficult to take the headlights apart, but you'd be looking at replacing the little cog anyway, and by the time you found a headlight to butcher to do that you might as well buy a working headlight from ebay, shouldnt break the bank especially for one.Having said that make sure it is broken first as said above

get a pic up of the broken part. I think I had the same problem recently with the internal locater for the headlamp motors snapping. These can't be bought seperatly but I have found a clip that does the job just as well.

you dont need to take the light apart if you're careful when replacing it

How many turns of the allen key adjuster have you done? If the previous owner had over adjusted them it wil take alot of winding before you see any movement, i had this previously and was thinking i was gonna have to replace the headlamp. As far as i know you cant buy parts for the internals of the headlamp so if it is broken you will probably be looking at a new headlamp which are circa £480 from the dealer.

Ah, that's useful. I might just try turning for longer. Can anyone tell me which direction to turn to move the beam in which direction? I don't want to be turning one way for ages and then have to go back even further!

Thanks

get a pic up of the broken part. I think I had the same problem recently with the internal locater for the headlamp motors snapping. These can't be bought seperatly but I have found a clip that does the job just as well.

you dont need to take the light apart if you're careful when replacing it

Hi, i have the same prob. could you tell me where you got a clip that fitted please :thumbsup:

Ah, that's useful. I might just try turning for longer. Can anyone tell me which direction to turn to move the beam in which direction? I don't want to be turning one way for ages and then have to go back even further!

Thanks

It might help to get an "allen key" socket and attach that to a battery drill.....

Just remember to keep the torque setting low...

make sure you dont go too far clockwise otherwise it will unscrew completely

I think somebody already found that out... I think it was already completely unscrewed and that's why it doesn't move. I'm guessing I'll need to take bumper off, remove the headlights and open them up to persuade it to go back on the thread :(

nope, there's a way around it. Take the panel off the back of the headlights and find something to pull on whilst you turn the adjuster anti-clockwise

it will pull it back on doing this

I have facelift headlights for sale in excellent condition if interested. Msg me...

nope, there's a way around it. Take the panel off the back of the headlights and find something to pull on whilst you turn the adjuster anti-clockwise it will pull it back on doing this

Great. I'll try that. If not, I might be in contact with you ruairi83!

Thanks guys,

Steve

Well I've got around to having a look. The "open the back, pull on something and then adjust" worked brilliantly for the right hand light, thanks! The left hand one still has a broken adjuster (the gear part on the back has broken off the spindle and disappeared :( ) but I've bodged it for now. So I'm looking to get hold of one of those bits and get it back together. Thanks all!