Fiat 20V Turbo

Ibzzzzz

Reaction score
A lad down the road has one. Saw him take off, looked powerful. Are they seriously that fast?
I have seen alot zingin' about lately, any of you BT'ers had it out with one?

A lad down the road has one. Saw him take off, looked powerful. Are they seriously that fast?

I have to say I wanted one for ages, but the main thing that stopped me was Fix It Again Tomorrow lol

they are quick, most are running 300bhp+ and dont weigh as much.

yup ive seena couple go and they shift.... rear wheel drive i think..... cheap cheap but v fast

FWD but LSD as standard, 220Bhp, twin intercoolers, Brembos as standard.

Better interior design than the S3 (although not as well made).

Weigh less, same power, better brakes, LSD = Better than S3 for performance.

Mate of a mate has one, used to have a punto turbo running around 180BHP i believe, now has this and has just rebuilt the engine, new turbo etc. is planning on around 300bhp i think. and it was pretty fast pre-rebuild apparently.

My mum had a mint one a few years back ai had a drive and felt ALOT quicker than any S3 ive driven.

It all ended in tears though the ****** thing went up in flames and was a right off. Was fun while it lasted though....

Jason

I've driven a few, as my m8 is a collector of them, and there nothing special, he's got a yellow one running about 250, i dont think they're that quick to be honest, as matt said they dont handle, fWD and its a fiat.

They dont handle :) People in glass houses shouldnt throw stones!!!

Are you stating that A3s dont handle?

I took a little peek on the interior! Very classy his piping is the same colour as the car (Blue) but the dash looks ancient!

A3s and S3s dont handle. I regularly drive a standard MGF that handles better than my A3, and my A3 has had time and money thrown at it in great quantities. It also already handles better than most peoples S3s. I found the Fiat i drove (only for a day) was great with the LSD, and definately handles better than most S3s.

My mum had a mint one a few years back ai had a drive and felt ALOT quicker than any S3 ive driven.

It all ended in tears though the ****** thing went up in flames and was a right off. Was fun while it lasted though....

Jason

Your mum!? that sound legendary! Did she know how fast it was or did she jus drive it obliviously, as my uncle did with his S55 AMG. He just splashed out on one because it was the most expensive merc at the time (as fat loaded accountants do), then i drove him round the block in it, showed him what it could do. He was speechless!

ok, can we have this debate on a like for like...... take an S3/A3 from 2000/01 say...... then take a car of the same class and compare..... there is no point comparing to a coupe or roadster as they are completely different cars......

Thats a bit shortsighted. Thats like saying you cant compare a 1998 S8 to a 2007 Mondeo, because they are different. Well yes, but one is definately better for performance and the other is deinfately better for safety.

Thats a bit shortsighted. Thats like saying you cant compare a 1998 S8 to a 2007 Mondeo, because they are different. Well yes, but one is definately better for performance and the other is deinfately better for safety.

I think what animal is saying is perfectly fair. You're comparing what is essentially a family hatchback which has been turned into a sports hatchback with a car that was designed at the offset to be a sports roadster. The MGF was built to be quick and handle well. the A3 wasn't.

Compare the Fiat Coupe to the S3 then, the Fiat Coupe is older than the S3, yet it had better brakes from the outset, a great designer working on how it looked, fantastic aerodynamics, the coolest door handles in the world and a great driving position. Yet I'd reckon the Fiat was cheaper when new from a dealer.

Yep there's no denying that it's a great looking, well designed car which is also surprisingly quick in a straight line. It's just a shame it was built by Fiat! :)

My friends an avid Fiat fan and have to say these dont float my boat, doesnt especially shine in any department despite what others have said. Plus its a Fiat and they are a nightmare to maintain.

I had one, bought it on a whim as it had had all the stuff that breaks replaced - clutch, oil cooler pipes, manifold etc etc

They are very quick (quicker than the S3 by a fair margin I would say) - diff to the S3 in that it all happens very suddenly at just under 3k rpm then wooosh....the noise they make is out of this world - real Italian supercar niose.

I part ex'd it after a month loosing 1.5k on it as I hated it after a short time - it was red and I was never gonna get it all looking the same shade !!

The performance and noise were great but not a lot else really...seats were very uncomfortable and the interior was very dated imo

I have been in a standard one and it was pretty quick, seat of the pants rating I would say it was quicker than the S3 I have been in, but I would like to see a lap of any circuit to compare them. S3 feels much heavier, sure there probably isnt much in it. figures anyone?

I had one for nearly 4 years, only thing that went was the oil cooler hoses. In terms of maintenance, the cheapest car I've owned.
Even did a couple of trackdays in it and it held it's own.

I've got an 01 1.8TS A3 and would go back to a clean, late 20vt plus in a flash.
The interior is a bit dated but very stylish as you'd expect form Pinninfarina (they only designed the interior).
The A3 is a very solid, competent and effective tool but that's as far as it goes.

It's difficult to describe but in the year and half I've owned the A3, I've never washed it by hand or polished it, when I had the fiat, some weekends, it got washed more than I did!! :D

I've never just got in the Audi to go for a drive for the sake of it - with the fiat, we once left Epsom to go for sunday lunch and ended up in Cardiff, another "run" ended in Poole.

I never look back after parking the A3, I ALWAYS looked back after parking the Fiat.

Depends what you're looking for but all round, I've never enjoyed a car more than my 20vt.

The one I always wanted was a 20V Turbo LE in Black...with contrasting red/black leather interior, beautiful with a nice bodykit on to.

Something like this...

Fiat-model-65.jpg

You never look back after parking your A3? I cant help but check out every A3 and S3 regardless, but whatever floats your boat I suppose. I'm not interested in the Coupe, doesnt strike me at all but the new Abarth Punto could be interesting to drive.

Whats a BT'er????

Also, i have seen a few round the streets of Brum, and they sure sound fast, and actually look quite good....i dont know if i would have one, but agreed, they look and sound the part and are probably quick as well....

Each to their own i guess...

My bro lives in France and has 2! An early 4pot 16v turbo (220hp IIRC) and a later 5cyl turbo that I am pretty sure was 250 out the box? Maybe a special edition.

Brembos on the later ones, 5 cyl, truly unique and beautiful styling, great painted dash too. Handling, the 4pot handles brilliantly tbh, real fun, proper max attack drivers club machine, (ie lob it at roundabouts!) but the 5cyl is more ponderous. He had some bilstein suspension and avanti springs and its ace.

Although potentially a bit fragile as with any fiat, his first was so reliable he bought another. He coould not sell #1, (in france rules for second hand cars is nuts) so just kept it. He did 225k km in the 4 pot and had original turbo, services only, waterpump done ebtween cambelt as it was leaking, but bar from that ti was perfect.
If you look after them they look after you back, abuse them and you are mullered!

You must remeber that these were mid 90's releases, and technology moves on, but in their day they were awesome, and still cut quite a dash styling wise against mainstream cars of today.
Huge fun tool!

The one I always wanted was a 20V Turbo LE in Black...with contrasting red/black leather interior, beautiful with a nice bodykit on to.

Something like this...

Fiat-model-65.jpg

That's like my brothers but his is silver. He has some BBS CH's on it now!!

You never look back after parking your A3? I cant help but check out every A3 and S3 regardless, but whatever floats your boat I suppose. I'm not interested in the Coupe, doesnt strike me at all but the new Abarth Punto could be interesting to drive.

I have a friend that works for fiat, that 1.4T-jet punto is his company car, mate he loves it more than his 325Ci m-sport. It isnt as quick as it sounds in a straight line but, you can stick it into any corner, and it just sticks like nothing!

Thought I'd make this my first 'proper' post as I currently own a Coupe Fiat 20V Turbo and am just about to buy an S3.

First off, it's nice to come to another car forum and read some considered opinions of the Fiat for a change instead of the usual nonsense!

My opinions (for what it's worth!). I have owned 2 Fiat coupes now, over a period of roughly 8 years. They are a very 'emotional' car, italian soul , gorgeous to look at etc. As someone has already mentioned, I ALWAYS look back at the Fiat when I park it.

However, this has it's drawbacks in that you are constantly paranoid that someone will dink it or scratch it, this is mainly due to the fact that the paint is incredibly thin and the lack of any moulding on the doors etc makes them very vulnerable.

In terms of performance, well, they are ****** quick, even in standard form. Far quicker than any of the S3s I have driven so far (in fact, the first time I drove an S3 I thought it was broken!!). It can be a fairly frantic drive though, not as refined as more modern suspension setups etc. Handling is pretty good as standard for a heavy nosed FWD car, but obviously no where near as good as the AWD in an S3.

Modification is fairly straightforward, the basics of boost controller, exhaust, filter etc I would imagine are much the same as the S3. With these and a chip, it's easy enough to get 270bhp out of them. With some thought to chargecooling 300bhp is easily obtainable. There are some, however, with huge BHP figures, over 600 being the current highest.

Contrary to popular belief they aren't especially fragile. I have owned my 20VT for 6 years now, and it hasn't let me down once in that time. Like any other performance car they need looking after, good quality oil etc etc and if this is done there is no reason why they shouldn't be as reliable as any other car.

Also contrary to polular belief they weren't designed by Pininfarina, only the interior was, Chris Bangle designed the exterior. They were, however, handbuilt at the Pininfarina factory.

So, why you may ask is someone who obviously loves the Fiat Coupe going to change it for an S3? Italian soul versus ruthless german efficiency!

Well, I also like Audis (I have an A4 Tdi Quattro), I like the build quality and the engineering. I will never have the same 'emotional' connection with an Audi that I do with the Fiat, but at this moment in my life I need something I can use everyday and not be paranoid everytime I park it. The S3 fits the bill nicely, still reasonably quick, I can modify it gently if I wish to, is well built (no rattles!!) and has AWD.

Oh, forgot to say, if you want to find out more about the Fiat, visit http://www.fccuk.org/forum/ubbthreads.php You'll find it a very friendly place with some very knowledgable members (much like here I'd imagine) who will only be too happy to help.

I know of at least one guy from there who is now a member here (well, 2 now if you include me!)

Great post, nice to see a non blinkered opinion of what is an excellent car. Only one thing niggles me though, the S3 is not AWD. Its FWD with a Haldex diff. If the front lose traction then the backs kick in. Compared to a REAL Audi AWD car the S3 Haldex is pants. But a lot better than FWD regardless.

Thank you, and good point, I must stop referring to it as AWD!!

I'll be interested to see how it compares to the Quattro system in my A4 (which is excellent!) when I finally do get my S3.

Top post MrB ! Im thinking about a sprint blue or black 20vt coupe now !! Damn this forum !:mad:

Great post, nice to see a non blinkered opinion of what is an excellent car. Only one thing niggles me though, the S3 is not AWD. Its FWD with a Haldex diff. If the front lose traction then the backs kick in. Compared to a REAL Audi AWD car the S3 Haldex is pants. But a lot better than FWD regardless.

If its good enough for the Bugatti Veyron...

All this "Fix It Again Tomorrow" nonsense annoys me!

My first car was a Punto Sporting and that never gave me any trouble in the slightest... even after sitting for 2 years! Okay, so the alternator siezed but was easily sorted and the power steering pump was knackered but only cost £30 to replace... Still, not bad after being used as a garden ornament for 2 years though! Despite being on lowered suspension and low profile tyres it never had any rattles or squeaks... I wish I could say the same about my A4 which sits on raised suspension (don't ask!) and standard 16" wheels!

My ex brought her diesel LHD punto over from France and that was seriously neglected (i.e. the glow plugs hadn't been changed in over 5 years and God only knows when she last had it serviced!). Yes it was a bag of nails and got vandalised frequently (because of the French plates... mine was always parked next to it and never got touched) but the old girl still kept on going (the car, not the ex!)... even after the ex mashed the radiator by hitting a bollard on a car park (first it leaked, then it fixed itself!! :think:). She has however since joined the VAG Group and got herself a Golf.

The ex before the last ex had a Punto too, as did her mum and sister, and none of them had any problems. Other than a service every year they never recieved anything in the way of 'maintenance'.

The 5cyl 20v Coupe engine can be shoehorned into a Mk1 Punto which certainly leads to some raised eyebrows from the owners of 'fast' cars!

MrB is right, FIATs are very 'emotional' cars (note, cars not those the stupid Multipla and Doblo things!). They do have character and they do have a 'soul'... which is something cars borne of German efficiency will never have.

FIAT stand for "Fun Italian Automobile Tomfoolery" :racer: