S3 3rd gear

FazS3

Reaction score
hey fellas...when i seem to push my s3 in 2nd it crunches when putting it into 3rd...i have been to a few garages and informed that it is the 3rd gear synchro(£500 ish) quotes...does this seem about right??anyone else had a similar problem cheers

Be worth calling up Audi and seeing what the price is... or maybe looking at other gearing options to make the most of the power

PS.... MTM BigTurbos Rule ;)

what other gearing options do i have to look at?im pretty new to this so would need some guidance lol :rockwoot: ur ryt dere buddy

Common problem with S3 gearbox's, only happens when you change gear higher up the rev range right? An uprated dogbone mount would improve things, but with your car in such a high state of tune, I would have thought they fitted on already.
search 'dogbone mount' in this forum for more info...

Typical VAG gearbox problem I'm afraid...
My S3 was the same...
My Golf GTI the same...

All you can do is slow the change down.
do you have a short shift kit on?
If so, they make it worse...but ultimately, when the synchro is goosed...it's goosed and a gearbox rebuild is in order.

Be worth calling up Audi and seeing what the price is... or maybe looking at other gearing options to make the most of the power

PS.... MTM BigTurbos Rule ;)

Regardless of what you do with the gearing...you still need the synchro changing...
So it's change the synchro and pay the cost.
Or change the synchro and alter the gearing and pay the larger cost.

Either way...the synchro needs doing!