Smokey Diesels

vrbob

Thats no Moon, Thats a space station!
Reaction score
Not really an A3/S3 related post but i wanted to see if anyone else gets ****** off by this.

Perfect example this morning on the M27 i was following a 57 plate Range Rover with a full Kahn bodykit so not a cheap car but everytime he put his foot down a large cloud of black smoke would come out.

Now not got anything against people having diesel cars but why do they smoke so much??

How do they pass emisions tests when they produce so much obvious emmisions??

More than likely chipped. The standard ones don't chuck out unburnt fuel like that, well, they do occasionally but only when being booted after a long period of pottering around.

So it is unburnt diesel then,

To be honest i was also following an sl55 merc that did the same thing the other day if your paying that sort of money for a car n wanna look good in it a cloud of black smoke everytime you pull away really does detract from the classy look.

True but it looks sh1t in my opinion also makes sitting in traffic behind them a real
crap experience!

http://www.blackettphotography.com/...70415&eventtime=1030-1100&image=SPod0350.jpg#
when diesels are chipped the one in photo (250bhp Fabia VRS) especially kicked out black unburnt fuel, and most people who drive performance diesels don't really care whats coming out the back, and who can blame them with 420ftlbs of torque! i didn't care that my A4 used to after all it had no cat an doesn't need one by law! diesels don;t have emissions tests but a smoke test which is done a bosch smoke test scale.

when diesels are chipped the one in photo (250bhp Fabia VRS) especially kicked out black unburnt fuel, and most people who drive performance diesels don't really care whats coming out the back, cale.

Ain't that the truth...

As a recent convert to heavy oil, I quite like seeing the expression on the driver of a petrol - and normally more impressively badged - car's face, as I pull away from them without really trying, leaving a cloud of black smoke to remind them not only was it a Skoda...but a diesel one at that. :laugh:

2nd/3rd gear roundabouts are especially fun.

True but it looks sh1t in my opinion also makes sitting in traffic behind them a real
crap experience!

Chipped diesels only throw out soot whan they are hammered and on load...
Not at idle....so it's unlikely you are going to really be bothered by the smoke...unless you are close up behind when the driver boots it...but then, should you be that close behind?

It may well look ****...but when you are out accelerating std S3s and the like and still getting 45 MPG minimum...I'll live with a bit of soot chucked out.

if i ever had a little scooter chav on my bumper at the traffic lights i always used to rev the engine and cover him in soot, i do miss my A4 for that!

Ain't that the truth...

As a recent convert to heavy oil, I quite like seeing the expression on the driver of a petrol - and normally more impressively badged - car's face, as I pull away from them without really trying, leaving a cloud of black smoke to remind them not only was it a Skoda...but a diesel one at that. :laugh:

2nd/3rd gear roundabouts are especially fun.

saying that i was behind a VRS fabia too that did it but nowhere near as bad as the Range Rover.

Suppose i am just being a petrol snob as i rarely see them giving out clouds of smoke (unless its a vauxhall).